Best methods for job searching?

kewlguitarist

I've just received my 189 visa a few weeks ago. I'm looking to move in May next year and would like to at least try to have a job organised first. What is the best method to apply for jobs. My degree is in Systems Engineering (of the Project Management variety), but I work currently in a claim handler role in an incoming only call centre for motor insurance claims. I kind of enjoy that work and if it's more readily available I'd love to do that until I find something more stable and better paying.

Also how soon before going should I start searching for jobs? Any help would be massively appreciated.

I've just received my 189 visa a few weeks ago. I'm looking to move in May next year and would like to at least try to have a job organised first.

Good luck with that! In my experience, Australian employers don't really like employing people from interstate, let alone halfway around the world. If your skills were in really, really short supply you might be lucky, but don't get your hopes up.

Seek.com.au is a good website to look at.

Good luck with that! In my experience, Australian employers don't really like employing people from interstate, let alone halfway around the world. If your skills were in really, really short supply you might be lucky, but don't get your hopes up.

Seek.com.au is a good website to look at.

Speaking as somebody who DID secure employment before leaving UK, I would agree that experience is key with skills specific to the employers need. I have nearly 20 years experience in my field with chartered qualifications. The combination meant I secured work off shore, was offered 2 jobs as soon as I landed and secured a further position after choosing to leave my first employer.

Best of luck in your search, seek.com.au is the best online source however nothing beats actually speaking to potential employers. Ensure you explain that you are moving independently and therefore you need no assistance, most employers here expect you to require assistance of some kind and is a positive if not required.

S

Cheers for that. Yeah, I don't seek assistance. Just employment. I'll get on there, update my CV and see how I get on.

I think the point srg73 is making is that you can't afford to be passive.

The big obstacle for employers is not just that you may expect assistance. It's the fact that once they've hired you, you still need to pack up your life in the UK, move over, find a home, get the electricity and gas and phone connected etc etc. With the best will in the world, that takes time, and while you may be willing to say you'll start work immediately, they worry your mind may not be on the job for the first few weeks/months after your arrival. That's why, given the choice, they'll be tempted to pick a local candidate even though they might be slightly less qualified or experienced. So you really have to sell yourself and your ability to hit the ground running.

Archived