189 with just 60 points?

Suziedoll

If you get the invite are you guaranteed the visa? Provided nothing untoward with the process thereafter?

The process is far from guaranteed.

Weirdly as it sounds anyone can potentially get an Invite if they falsely claim points on their EOI - which clearly is an extremely bad idea, but highlights the point here. The EOI invitation rounds are automated based on the claims you make in your EOI. It is not until you actually get invited to apply and lodge your application and make your payment that you then formally progress with the application. A Case Officer will normally ultimately be assigned and start to look at your application. They will then review this in light of the claims you made in your EOI to ensure you do indeed have the points you claimed you did. There are many factors and checklist items to consider as part of the application and they will all be reviewed following the invite and application. So I hope that gives a flavour of the process, albeit at a very high level.

Another important point is that you need to check your position with regards to the invitation prospects for your nominated occupation on 60 points. There is already one nominated occupation on the SOL which has reached its ceiling for this tax year and will not be taking more invites until July 2016. There are also a few other nominated occupation groups which have been put under pro-rata arrangement by DIBP due to the high demand and EOI in them. Furthermore occupations like Accountants are also only get cut-offs at 65+ in the invitation rounds, making it very hard indeed for anyone with only 60 points to get an invite.

I suggest you do a little more research based on your specific occupation and see what the cut-offs were last invitation round and/or check the specific stats for the pro-rata arrangements if your occupation is one of those.

If you look at this page; http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Skil, then it will detail the Invitation Round stats and Occupation Ceiling stats (for SOL). There is a separate tab for each. Under the Invitation Rounds you can drill in to the Last Invitation Round (7th Sep) to see the latest stats. You will notice that Accountants cut-off this time was 70 points - which clarifies the point I was making above.

Best of luck.

Edited by RMT1980

Like stated previously, as long as when you apply for invitation you don't lie about points etc, and then you get the invite, and then Medicals and PC are all fine etc, it should be ok....I took me 3 invitational rounds with 60 points to get the invite (6weeks), but I got it, and lodged visa July and pc and Medicals August and then granted visas Friday just gone!!!...good luck

If you get the invite are you guaranteed the visa? Provided nothing untoward with the process thereafter?

An invitation is a very good start, but I wouldn't take it as a guaranteed visa. People might lie on an EOI, but they can also simply make mistakes. A case officer might not agree that work experience is relevant, that a qualification has the right equivalency, medicals can be failed, relationship requirements might not be met if here is a partner on the application etc. Until visa is in hand, I wouldn't take it as a given.