189 permanent visa question

cazann100

Hi,

i just wondered if anyone could answer a query for me.

i am a student nurse who will qualify a month after I turn 39. At 39 I will have 60 points, enough to potentially be invited to apply or a permanent visa. After 40 I will not. So my question is can I submit an eoi and visa app after only a few months as a RN in order to have the correct points? Would lack of exp at eoi mean that I am unlikely to be invited to apply?

If I did this I believe that, should I get the visa, I will then have 5 years to gain exp before moving thus making myself employable both through exp and visa type. That was my thinking anyway.has anyone else done it this way? Or have any advice, would 457 visa be a better option and waiting till I'm over 40 but have exp?

thanks x

If you can make the points, get a positive skills assessment, be invited, and pay the visa application charge all before you turn 40 then you can do it. It will be very very tight though.

It's unlikely that an inexperienced newly qualified nurse would be considered for sponsorship unless you're in mental health, and even then it's only a slight possibility.

If you are not claiming points for experience you can apply any time..I didn't include experience in visa application. .However you need minimum three months experience for anmac skills asssesment I think and you need that to be complete before you submit eoi..that can take upto four months to come back to you..so as soon as you qualify you would need to get going with application preparation if your right about points for age

Yes most states require minimum experience of 12 months for 457s..Some require 2yrs. ..Some only accept 2yrs ED experience etc...although I only really know about mh nursing...but don't think be too different for general nursing..If you can get pr. .always best to go for that

Hi,

i just wondered if anyone could answer a query for me.

i am a student nurse who will qualify a month after I turn 39. At 39 I will have 60 points, enough to potentially be invited to apply or a permanent visa. After 40 I will not. So my question is can I submit an eoi and visa app after only a few months as a RN in order to have the correct points? Would lack of exp at eoi mean that I am unlikely to be invited to apply?

If I did this I believe that, should I get the visa, I will then have 5 years to gain exp before moving thus making myself employable both through exp and visa type. That was my thinking anyway.has anyone else done it this way? Or have any advice, would 457 visa be a better option and waiting till I'm over 40 but have exp?

thanks x

It looks tight but possible to me. You need to do skills assessment before EOI though and for that you need some experience first, I was thinking it might be three months for nurses too and that was confirmed in another post. The skills assessment can take a few months too, so just make sure you keep on top of things and do everything as soon as you can. Taking IELTS around the time you qualify is probably a good idea as that will be required before skills assessment.

A 457 is never a better option for someone that wants to migrate permanently. The 457 is a temporary visa and some might try to use it as a stepping stone to a permanent visa, but that does not make it a better option.

Thanks for all the replies. I was unaware that the skills assessment needed to be done before the EOI! that will make it very tight! Looks like the chances of the PR visa straight off are quite remote given the time restraints. Oh dear! Lets hope that I am lucky with timings etc. Thanks again x

Thanks for all the replies. I was unaware that the skills assessment needed to be done before the EOI! that will make it very tight! Looks like the chances of the PR visa straight off are quite remote given the time restraints. Oh dear! Lets hope that I am lucky with timings etc. Thanks again x

So long as you don't dilly dally with it and do everything as soon as you can, the timing should work.

It really is. I've been wanting to move to oz since I was around 14 but each time something had always scuppered my plans. My first career was taken off of the sol so I had to rethink things. Then I fell in love with nursing while I was working as an hca and applied to do the nursing course but my daughter got ill and I had to put plans on hold for a few years. Now here I am! And I've just been informed that it takes a while to get your pin in the nhs once you graduate so an even longer wait ... 189 is looking like a remote option. Still there will be other options if not I'm sure. I will try for the 189 though, you never know x

It really is. I've been wanting to move to oz since I was around 14 but each time something had always scuppered my plans. My first career was taken off of the sol so I had to rethink things. Then I fell in love with nursing while I was working as an hca and applied to do the nursing course but my daughter got ill and I had to put plans on hold for a few years. Now here I am! And I've just been informed that it takes a while to get your pin in the nhs once you graduate so an even longer wait ... 189 is looking like a remote option. Still there will be other options if not I'm sure. I will try for the 189 though, you never know x

I have known of a newly qualified nurse who got a direct job offer from attending a Oz skills / job fair. This helped her get a visa. It may be worth looking into this....?

Archived