Brisbane, here i come :) Any tips?

CharlesUSA

Hello all! Wanted to take this time to introduce myself :cute: Just joined the site, as I will be starting my WHV Mid-October this year and touching down in Brisbane first. I am traveling by myself and anticipate finding a job on the coast there and settling in for a period, but I am going for the adventure so if it leads me a different direction, I will follow!

I hear Manly is a nice area, a little younger. Any other good spots I should look into?

Haven't found a Hostel yet if anyone has any suggestions, i'm all ears. That will be step 1 when i touch down.

As for Cell phone companies that I can get a Sim-card for my device, any suggestions that have service in Brisbane and Cairns? Also, for Bank accounts, who is the largest with the most ATM's or branch locations in QLD?

If you are in the area or heading that way too, first beer is on me :cool:.

Wish me luck!

-Chuck-

Hello all! Wanted to take this time to introduce myself :cute: Just joined the site, as I will be starting my WHV Mid-October this year and touching down in Brisbane first. I am traveling by myself and anticipate finding a job on the coast there and settling in for a period, but I am going for the adventure so if it leads me a different direction, I will follow!

I hear Manly is a nice area, a little younger. Any other good spots I should look into?

Haven't found a Hostel yet if anyone has any suggestions, i'm all ears. That will be step 1 when i touch down.

As for Cell phone companies that I can get a Sim-card for my device, any suggestions that have service in Brisbane and Cairns? Also, for Bank accounts, who is the largest with the most ATM's or branch locations in QLD?

If you are in the area or heading that way too, first beer is on me :cool:.

Wish me luck!

-Chuck-

Hi,

Im sure you have done your research but you mention you are heading to brisbane then you also mention manly.....Yes there is a manly in/near brisbane but I wonder whether people are referring to the one in Sydney...as that sounds more like what you are describing.

Im probably wrong but just thought I would say as it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post.

All the best and have a great year!

Hey!

Brisbane's amazing, I spent about 3 months there when I first arrived in Oz. There are so many hostels to choose from you'll be spolit for choice, I would recommend having a look online at the West End area. Its close to the CDB, full of cool and trendy bars and restaurants, it has a young vibe and a lot of reasonably priced accommodation. Also Base in the CDB is a good place to make friends and have a crazy time.

Talking from experience you should probably try and have somewhere to stay arranged prior to your arrival. You'll need to fill out a form on the plane stating where you plan on staying and it just makes for a less stressful time once you arrive. You can jump in a cab, head straight to your destination and try to combat the jet lag!

NAB is the biggest bank, you can open an account online and veify it in person once you arrive. They'll give you a debit card too which is handy.

Do you plan on heading to Cairns too? Its beautuful :) the reef, kuranda, the lively CBD, you'll have a great time! Come summer the heat and humidity and be pretty unbearable though. I was there in January and boy was it hot!

Just one thing that I want to point out, I love that you're from North Carolina! Its on my to do list!

Have a great time in Australia and good luck

Maxine ✌❤

• 3 weeks later...
Mobile phone coverage map here. The main networks are Telstra, Optus and Vodafone. You might need to check that your phone operates on the required frequencies for those networks.

http://opensignal.com/coverage-maps/Australia/

Scottie, great resource, thanks a bunch! Have added it to my useful links and am thinking i'll just put this on my to-do list for when i arrive there.

Hi,

Im sure you have done your research but you mention you are heading to brisbane then you also mention manly.....Yes there is a manly in/near brisbane but I wonder whether people are referring to the one in Sydney...as that sounds more like what you are describing.

Im probably wrong but just thought I would say as it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post.

All the best and have a great year!

Thanks for the advice! The girl who referred me went to school near Manly while studying abroad so maybe they are both similar? haha. Thanks for the heads up though!

Hey!

Brisbane's amazing, I spent about 3 months there when I first arrived in Oz. There are so many hostels to choose from you'll be spolit for choice, I would recommend having a look online at the West End area. Its close to the CDB, full of cool and trendy bars and restaurants, it has a young vibe and a lot of reasonably priced accommodation. Also Base in the CDB is a good place to make friends and have a crazy time.

Talking from experience you should probably try and have somewhere to stay arranged prior to your arrival. You'll need to fill out a form on the plane stating where you plan on staying and it just makes for a less stressful time once you arrive. You can jump in a cab, head straight to your destination and try to combat the jet lag!

NAB is the biggest bank, you can open an account online and veify it in person once you arrive. They'll give you a debit card too which is handy.

Do you plan on heading to Cairns too? Its beautuful :) the reef, kuranda, the lively CBD, you'll have a great time! Come summer the heat and humidity and be pretty unbearable though. I was there in January and boy was it hot!

Just one thing that I want to point out, I love that you're from North Carolina! Its on my to do list!

Have a great time in Australia and good luck

Maxine ✌❤

Maxine, Thanks for the advice! I actually found a house-keeper position for when i arrive in Brisbane that is about 45 miles north of the CBD. I'll be helping around the house and the yard for free stay until i find a regular job and i'll be sure to check out Manly as well while i'm there.

Yes, i plan to head to Cairns also when the time is right, i have a friend that lives up there that I would like to visit and possibly find a job there as well. i'm sure i can take the heat, i was born in Florida :)

North Carolina is great! I've been in Charlotte my whole life and love it here but it's time for some adventure. You should definitely visit some time!

****SIDE NOTE***** i didn't realize what "PomsinOz" meant until my visit back to the site today so thank you all so much for still chiming in inspite of the fact that i'm not a "Pom" hahaha. Guess I was a little Naive when i first found this site! a great resource though and clearly some good people! Please take any and all assumptions/stereotypes you may have about Americans and throw it out the window for me though haha :)

Archived