Inverell Pioneer Village

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

On the way home from Sydney hospital last year I couldn't fly so we drove back, it took us a long time as I could only stay in the car a few hours. We came over the back roads and stayed in Glen Innes which was beautiful, very much like Scotland, in fact it's called the Celtic Country.

We had a half day trip to Inverell Pioneer Village, it was lovely, they could do a lot more with it, ie have a proper cafe/restaurant/ bar but what was there was well maintained.

These authentic buildings of the village have been collected from Inverell and surrounding districts and represent the lifestyle and pioneering spirit of days gone by

Wander through the grounds to discover the Grove Homestead, dating back to 1840, it was originally located in Tingha during the height of the early tin mining days. It is the oldest building in the village and depicts the early settlers homes.

One of the highlights of the village is Paddy’s Pub built in 1874, and previously located at Stanborough. In the Pub’s prime many a traveller would pass through its doors on their journey, which provided accommodation and refreshments for all that passed.

As you enter the Rob Roy Hall, feel yourself become immersed in history with the George P Devine Photography Collection featuring captured images together with an extensive photography equipment display, collected over 100 years.

Ahhh, good memories @The PomQueen.

I lived in Glen Innes for about 20 years and used to go to Inverell to sell the sapphires I got from my little mine in the New England Ranges.

The Pioneer Village reminded me of one of Australia's most iconic paintings, "Shearing The Rams" by Tom Roberts who was visiting a friend at Paradise Station, about 15 km east of Inverell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tom_Roberts_-_Shearing_the_rams_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Thanks, Bobj.