Will my non-accredited degree in Finance lead to a negative outcome from CPA?

chathurabw

Hi all,

I am not sure, whether this question was asked anywhere else. But i ran into trouble when i was preparing my documents for CPA skill assessment. i am planning to get my application assessed under Accountant (General) category, and i have a degree in Finance and 3 years of post qualified experience.

my issue is, that my degree is not an accredited qualification under CPA, but my degree transcript includes all required 7 core subject areas, namely, Accounting Systems and Processes, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Management Accounting, Finance and Financial Management, Business Law, Economics, Quantitative Methods. Almost all the subject names exactly match with the degree transcript.

But according to CPA website (http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/become-a-cpa/migration-assessment/preparing-my-documents) all non accredited qualifications needs to be accompanied by a syllabus. But my university does not issue syllabus documents.

One thing that i want to highlight is that, the university where i studied has an Accountancy degree which is accredited by CPA and i have done majority of subjects from this Accountancy degree (almost all required core 7 subject areas), though my degree is in Finance (subject codes are the same).

So i am confused whether to take a risk and apply for the skill assessment based on my Finance degree, only backed by a degree transcript. Can anyone kindly give an idea on what i can do? Is my degree not eligible for a positive skill assessment?

Thanks.

What are the downsides to taking the risk? Based on what you've written I would say you're likely to get knocked back but you might be able to get CPA or your Uni to help you out.

I'm not sure if this is relevant for your situation, but in my actuarial degree there were modules that were exactly the same for both mathematics and actuarial students. However, the exams were assessed differently for actuarial students to ensure they were recognised by the professional actuarial body. Same modules, same exams, but different pass marks. If this were the same at your uni it might explain why your finance degree is not recognised?

Thanks for your input robdromdublin. In my case, we (finance undergraduates) were sitting with accountancy undergraduates for the same subjects that were assessed by the department of accountancy. All the assessment criteria were same, except we were from Finance.

So if i somehow get a syllabus from university clarifying the subjects that i have done, will it add strength to my application? is there anyone who had the same issue (non-accredited qualification), but got a positive assessment through providing a syllabus?

Thanks for your input robdromdublin. In my case, we (finance undergraduates) were sitting with accountancy undergraduates for the same subjects that were assessed by the department of accountancy. All the assessment criteria were same, except we were from Finance.

So if i somehow get a syllabus from university clarifying the subjects that i have done, will it add strength to my application? is there anyone who had the same issue (non-accredited qualification), but got a positive assessment through providing a syllabus?

Why don't you get whatever you can, put in the application and see what happens.

I studied Accounting and Financial Management at Sheffield Hallam in the UK, I know there were 6 or 7 different finance related degrees at the time and all had overlapping modules, all were assessed exactly the same as far as I was aware, we were in the same lectures and exams for the overlapping modules, and they still lead to CIMA exemptions.

My degree was not accreditied so I just emailed Uni and had to pay a fee (£35), they then sent me two 45 page course syllabus (two because the content changed midway through my degree). Also the syllabus i was sent had the title of all the different degrees on and contained all modules, even the ones I did not sit, I assume they cross referenced this with my results transcript to see my modules.

I scanned and sent this to CPA with my applcication and all was fine, so maybe offer to pay your university?

I have provided a very detailed syllabus, which I created myself and attached a statutory declaration explaining that my university cannot issue the requested document and I put reasonable effort to describe the subjects as close as possible to the original curriculum. My CPA sassement was positive.

Thanks a lot mgreaves and DianaK. i will try my level best to get a document from the university administration. i have a follow up question. I was given a prospectus (a booklet) of the degree in the beginning of the degree program. This includes descriptions for all the modules that were in all degree programs like in the case of mgreaves. Do you think that i can use it as a replacement for syllabus document? Must it be a more formal document signed by an official or just scanned copies of a booklet? It is 8 years old and i have no idea where it is but i should be able to find a copy.

Make sure that each subject that CPA requires as mandatory has a description of each chapter or lecture. The more detailed, the easier for them to recognize it. An outline of the program only will not do. Also, you should provide syllabus for the relevant subjects only, not for all subjects that you have taken. It does not have to be official if you create it. On the other hand, if you cjoose to get it from the university, it has to have all university stamps and whatever they require.

The syllabus I sent did not have anything to indicate it was real, it looked official but was not signed or stamped, and was a very basic black and white scan. If I had the time I could have produced it myself to look the same, this was 90 pages of information though so would have taken me a very long time!

I think one of the reasons it took CPA a while to process my skills assessment is because these documents contained details for a lot more modules than I actually studied, so make sure if you can just provide details for the modules CPA want.

As Diana said, you do have the option to provide a statutory declaration with your own if no official syllabus is avalaible.

Archived