subclass 489 visaquery:Renewal

arq

Dear All,

I have a query regarding subclass 489 family stream. What if someone is not able to fulfil the visa conditions for subclass 887(2 years in designated area with 1 year of full time work) in the 4 years of visa provided by 489? Can the subclass 489 be renewed? Secondly if the applicant does fulfil the work and designated area requirements and lodges the application for subclass 887, few months before 489 expires, lets say 2 months before 489 expires, and processing of 887 takes 6-12 months, how will such applicants be catered for by immigration, will they have to apply for some kind of bridging visa etc?

Regards,

Arq

I haven't heard that a 489 can't be renewed, so it's likely you can apply for a new one if you aren't yet eligible for a PR visa.

If you do satisfy the requirements for the 887, once you apply for it you will be issued a bridging visa. The bridging visa will sit in the background until the 489 expires, and then the bridging visa will take effect until the 887 is finalised. The bridging visa would allow you to continue working and living in Australia.

Hi,

Can you please share ref from the DIBP website because I have not been able to find it.

It is possible for the 489 to be extended for 1 year only to meet the requirements for the 887.

Either applicant from the 489 (primary or secondary) can the primary applicant on the 887 application if they meet the requirements.

Archived