Rental in Melbourne

newgirl

Hi guys, Just moved to Melbourne and wanted advice about securing a long-term rental. Seems plenty of places but also plenty looking. Is it acceptable to make several applications at the same time? I see that in most of the application forms you have to sign a declaration stating that if application is successful you agree to enter into a rental agreement, so can they treat that as a binding contract?

I've yet to get my deposit from UK rental repaid - not had anything from the letting agent that they plan to deduct but aren't answering e-mails... How do I present myself as a reliable tenant in Oz without this?

Thanks for the advice.

Hi guys, Just moved to Melbourne and wanted advice about securing a long-term rental. Seems plenty of places but also plenty looking. Is it acceptable to make several applications at the same time? I see that in most of the application forms you have to sign a declaration stating that if application is successful you agree to enter into a rental agreement, so can they treat that as a binding contract?

I've yet to get my deposit from UK rental repaid - not had anything from the letting agent that they plan to deduct but aren't answering e-mails... How do I present myself as a reliable tenant in Oz without this?

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, you can make several applications. We did just that when we first moved.

Bring plenty of references with you - your previous landlord, personal and employment references.

What is your budget?

A lot depends on how much competition there is for the property you are looking at. The more competition, the better a tenant you will have to prove yourself. All that landlords are interested in is knowing that you will always pay the rent on time and that you will look after the place.

BB