Job jargon... Translation required 😉

Emma Newby

Hi, wondering if anyone can help. We have our visa, activated last year and are heading down under in December this year. Problem is, I don't know what my job is in Oz or my husbands, so I'm struggling to a search for jobs.

jon is a cabinet maker here, he designs and makes bespoke furniture, highly skilled and doing this for 25 years, yet cabinet maker seems to be a shop fitter in the UK, anyone know what I should be looking for...? He has an AQF in carpentry if that helps (not just saying it, but he is brilliant) our long term plan is for him to open a high street shop selling one off furniture designs, his inspirations are mies van de rohe, paul kajerholm, jory brigham, Sam maloof.....

i am am a registered manager for learning disabilities, mental health, drug and alcohol and autism, basically an area manager for several services with a degree in social sciences and a diploma in leadership & management in health and social care. All my searches are revealing support workers or nurse posts, but nothing in between. (I'm not a nurse, but I am HR and recruitment in my field) Anyone got any ideas what I should be looking for? I've ordered literature to familiarise myself with the equivalent regulators in Oz, but I can't see any jobs :(

Thanks amibovered, it does a bit, jon makes quite intricate things, like church furniture, bedroom furniture, beds etc but has a thing for chairs, he has books and books on chair designs and has restored Macintosh chairs, he restored the Macintosh chair that winston Churchill sat on.... He's a bit of a geek... A lot of his design has sold to architects in around Liverpool to the rich and famous but it helps to know that there are requirements for one off pieces in whatever capacity... Where does he work, do you know?

Hi Emma, he did make some furniture too as I recall, unfortunately the firm he worked for closed last year and he hasn't been able to find a another job, he's had some casual work here and there but nothing permanent yet, mind you he's still living at home and hasn't been all that motivated I don't think.

Actually had a look at that link, seems there may be a couple of things on there. So grateful for your time, you're very kind to help xxx feel a bit better, you have have just lifted some of our stress about the move x

That's good it's a big move, so many unknowns, very unsettling, hope it goes well for you both.

Archived