Hi - need info regards mobiles.

Guest Lindt

Hi anyone

Can anyone tell me about 'mobile phones' Just waitin to sell the house, hope to be over in Melbourne by end of January or soon as, (depends on sale of house)

We are all on (pay as you go - with Orange) need to know about mobiles, can we bring them over with us and if so can we still use them? Can we still buy credit other there, or do they use different networks or would we have to buy more phones.

Greatly appreciated

LindT

The Taylor Family

Hi anyone

Can anyone tell me about 'mobile phones' Just waitin to sell the house, hope to be over in Melbourne by end of January or soon as, (depends on sale of house)

We are all on (pay as you go - with Orange) need to know about mobiles, can we bring them over with us and if so can we still use them? Can we still buy credit other there, or do they use different networks or would we have to buy more phones.

Greatly appreciated

LindT

The Taylor Family

Hi anyone

Greatly appreciated

LindT

The Taylor Family

Well... that was stupid... (The last post) I clicked when i shouldn't have...

Mobiles should be fine if they are standard GSM. The CDMA network here has a dubious long-term future.

Orange operate here as "3".

http://www.three.com.au/... They should be able to arrange a transfer. I have four phones within teh houshold on "3" (Wife and three kids... because you get free 3 -to - 3 calls).

Guest ohippychick
:) Thanks Fraser

LindT

Just make sure that the phones are unlocked first. I forgot on one of mine and it's now useless !

• 2 weeks later...

Unlocking phones is an expensive business here - about $60. Also, mobile phone technology is way behind.. Nice ones are really expensive too!

Vodaphone do a $49 maxi-cap, (which you can buy -10% from Big W!) and for that, you get $230 worth of calls + 20mins international calling. You can text overseas as well. You have to use it in a month but I found this much cheaper than using the land line anyway and, certainly in the early days, at least you know where you are and don't get any surprise phone bills! Just turn up at a Vodaphone shop with your passport and you'll be up and running within minutes.

For land lines, you can buy overseas calling cards for $20 which give you a ridiculous amount of talk time for the cost of a local call. That, too, proved to be invaluable when I had to phone banks and stuff in England because they weren't doing what I had specifically requested)!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived