189 Visa Application - Uploading of photographs

RMT1980

Question for all those that have already been invited to apply for a 189 visa and gone through the actual online application form.

One of the 189 visa document check-list items is to supply a photo of each applicant which is labelled with the applicant name. The check-list notes state that they can be provided electronically - which makes sense for 189 online applications. However what I want to know is the accepted methods for labelling an electronic photo. Do we simply need to ensure the photo file-name is the name of the applicant (thus labelling the file) or does the photo itself in the file have to have a label overlaid in a photo editor of the applicant name?

Any advice from people already having gone through this would be appreciated.

For info, then detail from the official site (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-/Skilled-Independent-visa-(subclass-189)-document-checklist) is this;

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

• Recent, scanned passport-sized photograph (45 mm x 35 mm) of you and each other person included in the application. Alternatively, digital photos can also be provided. Each photograph should:
    • be of the head and shoulders against a plain background and
    • be labelled with the applicant's name.

I didn't label mine, apart from uploading them under each applicants name on the eLodgement page. All pics clearly matched the passports of each applicant. Labelling (and certifying documents) is a throwback from when the applications were all lodged on paper application forms and involved sending documents by post.

I didn't label mine, apart from uploading them under each applicants name on the eLodgement page. All pics clearly matched the passports of each applicant. Labelling (and certifying documents) is a throwback from when the applications were all lodged on paper application forms and involved sending documents by post.

Many thanks Captain...... somehow I knew you'd be the person to respond to my thread! You are the unofficial (or official perhaps) guru of all things 189!

Thanks again.

Amendment....... didn't notice before captain.... you got your grant today! Huge Congrats!!!:wink:

Many thanks Captain...... somehow I knew you'd be the person to respond to my thread! You are the unofficial (or official perhaps) guru of all things 189!

Thanks again.

Amendment....... didn't notice before captain.... you got your grant today! Huge Congrats!!!:wink:

Yes!! Well observed! Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey CaptainC, can you clarify when you uploaded them which Document Category/Type you did it under? I'm not sure which section/type to upload the photos under.

Also... when you uploaded your Skills Assessment results, did you just upload the final certificate from your assessing authorising/body, or did you also upload any supporting documents that you used for the purpose of skills assessment with the authorising body?

Hey CaptainC, can you clarify when you uploaded them which Document Category/Type you did it under? I'm not sure which section/type to upload the photos under.

Also... when you uploaded your Skills Assessment results, did you just upload the final certificate from your assessing authorising/body, or did you also upload any supporting documents that you used for the purpose of skills assessment with the authorising body?

Yes, if I remember correctly its in a section that is marked supporting documents, it's near the top I think. You click on that and you'll see a drop down menu of 100's of different document titles. Passport Photograph (or Photograph-Passport) is on the list.

I uploaded the skills assessment letter plus some others. but each of the skills assessments are different so I couldn't advise exactly what you'd need to do. I did upload my sea service records, my original certificate of competency, and employer letters, but not the ancillary certificates that were required for the skills assessment.

I have read about an Immi account....what is that? Do you need to register for that account in order to submit any supporting evidence?

An IMMI account is where you see all your VISA applications, including the GSM 189 once you've received an invite via SkillSelect. For example in my IMMI account I can see all my eVisitor VISA applications from the past which we applied for when we visited Aus as tourists.

If you have been invited, which I think you said you had on 7th September (like me also), then you should login to your SkillSelect account in the normal way and you will see an 'Apply Now' button. Click this and it will take you where you need to go, and yes if you don't have one already then you will need to create an IMMI account. Basically once you've been invited then SkillSelect is essentially redundant for the time-being as you'll do all your application via your IMMI account.

Good luck with it.

• 4 months later...

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the correct thread but will give it a go....

Currently scanning all of my documents for 189 visa. I am aware colored copies do not need to be certified but I have a question regarding a couple of other documents...

Lease agreements (Defacto evidence) both of our leases are in black and white ....

My partners birth certificate was sent from the service provided by Direct Gov (he lost his original) and this is a "Certified copy of an entry" which is also black and white...

Do I need to get these documents certified as they are not coloured? No problem if so, my friend is able to do it! Just thought I would double check

:) Thanks in advance!!!

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the correct thread but will give it a go....

Currently scanning all of my documents for 189 visa. I am aware colored copies do not need to be certified but I have a question regarding a couple of other documents...

Lease agreements (Defacto evidence) both of our leases are in black and white ....

My partners birth certificate was sent from the service provided by Direct Gov (he lost his original) and this is a "Certified copy of an entry" which is also black and white...

Do I need to get these documents certified as they are not coloured? No problem if so, my friend is able to do it! Just thought I would double check

:) Thanks in advance!!!

Does it say 'certified copy' on the form

Archived