UK TV?

Bladder

Hi,

We are due to move out of the house in 1 week, the buyers had agreed to buy a number of things including tv. Could anyone please let me know if our Sony 32" 100hz Trinitron widescreen TV will work in Australia, we also have Sony vcr and dvd players, would they be ok?

I don't want to pay to ship them over only to discover they don't work.

We have had a quote and paid for shipping, but now we need to take a lot more stuff if we can't sell, but we have very little time. We have also submitted our insurance itinerary of all the things we'd planned on taking, now the whole thing has changed.

ANYONE WANT TO BUY A TV, VCR, DVD, DINING TABLE AND CHAIRS, 2 LEATHER SETTEES...............

We fly to Brisbane in 2 weeks for our new life, can't wait. Tying up loose ends in this country has been a real pain. Why can't things be simple, why can't people do there jobs properly? Hassle? Don't get me started!

In most cases you'd would be wasting money to ship them out, I'd strongly advise that you sell them and buy new here.

In a lot of cases if they work at all, they have problems with no colour or sound or both, due to the fact that UK uses a different system for transmissions, which don't work properly in other countries.

Koala

This should be an FAQ! 8)

The tellies., DVDs etc will work just fine on digital inputs (that is RCT or Component... but not at all on analogue..

So A british telly and British DVD and VCR player will still work as a set... but bear in mind that DVD themselves are regionalised. UK is regon 2 and Oz is Region 4.

All in all, I agree with Koala... better to drop them and buy new when you get here.

We just had to add a freeview box.

...which you connected via RCA plugs (red/white/yellow, or red/blue/green)...... and not via an aerial connection I assume?

Guest ohippychick

...which you connected via RCA plugs (red/white/yellow, or red/blue/green)...... and not via an aerial connection I assume?

Ummmm, that's a bit technical for me. They are connected to those plugs but I think they're connected to the aerial too. I just know that they work. Dumb blonde me :?

Ummmm, that's a bit technical for me. They are connected to those plugs but I think they're connected to the aerial too......:?

Yup... the aerial (analogue_ connection into a UK telly doesn't work because the UK and OZ use different frequencies for sound...

But a digibox receives the signal and forwards it digitally to the telly. via the plugs ....and, as you say... should work just fine that way. :D

Guest ohippychick
Yup... the aerial (analogue_ connection into a UK telly doesn't work because the UK and OZ use different frequencies for sound...

But a digibox receives the signal and forwards it digitally to the telly. via the plugs ....and, as you say... should work just fine that way. :D

That's exactly what I meant !!! :D

Guest spray21

Isn't there an argument for taking UK TV&DVD player in order to play British DVDs? I counted up the other day and reaslised that we have over 100 DVDs - if we chuck our UK player then we can't watch them on an Ozzy one!

(Am using this as justifiation for shelling out on a multi-region recordable DVD player..... what were those winning numbers again?!)

Guest ohippychick
Isn't there an argument for taking UK TV&DVD player in order to play British DVDs? I counted up the other day and reaslised that we have over 100 DVDs - if we chuck our UK player then we can't watch them on an Ozzy one!

(Am using this as justifiation for shelling out on a multi-region recordable DVD player..... what were those winning numbers again?!)

Is your DVD multi regional ? If not, can it be made multi regional ? A lot of them can just by entering a code. That way you'll be able to play both UK and Oz DVD's. As for needing a recordable one, I doubt you'll be recording anything off the telly here :lol:

Guest spray21

I know that theoretically all DVD players can be made multi-region by entering a magic code - however when I have searched online for said magic code I have not found one for my particular DVD player! (probably what you get for buying a cheap one!)

Point taken about not wanting to record Aussie TV.... am still holding out hope that might somehow be able to watch decent TV via satellite or cable? Although that might be my British mindset planning to watch the damn box every evening - maybe in Australia I will have better things to do!

Maybe I should just take my British DVD player with my British DVDs, save them for rainy days, and shun all native televisual offerings?!

Guest ohippychick
I know that theoretically all DVD players can be made multi-region by entering a magic code - however when I have searched online for said magic code I have not found one for my particular DVD player! (probably what you get for buying a cheap one!)

Point taken about not wanting to record Aussie TV.... am still holding out hope that might somehow be able to watch decent TV via satellite or cable? Although that might be my British mindset planning to watch the damn box every evening - maybe in Australia I will have better things to do!

Maybe I should just take my British DVD player with my British DVDs, save them for rainy days, and shun all native televisual offerings?!

The only TV my kids watch is Aus Pop Idol. The rest is DVDs. As for me, I've become a real Ozzie and went to bed at 8pm last as there was nothing on tv !! I keep nagging hubby for foxtel but that's not much better.

Here, no one does anything at night but sleep (most aussie families I know have 4 kids!) but then they are all up and about early - even on a Sunday !!

• 3 months later...

Hi was talked into buying a new lcd tv by OH! Does anyone know if it will work in aus? It is a digital tv so does this mean that it should work in aus?

If no one knows could someone let me know how i coud find out ?

Carol :roll:

Archived