Year 11 & 12 High School concerns! Advice please?!

Aprilfool

Hi

I am moving back to Brisbane at the start of 2017 (I'm a PR, 2 sons are citizens and hubby & daughter are about to submit 309/100).

My Sons are about to begin year 10 & year 11 in the UK. For my younger son I don't think the move will be an issue. He will have started year 11 in September 2016 so he will just restart year 11 again at the start of the QLD school year in 2017. However my older son will be midway through year 12 when we go. He is my main concern as on top this he is mildly on the autistic spectrum. He copes remarkably well in mainstream school and his grades are pretty good (predicted B's and C's for GCSE's).

I am really not sure what route would be best to take for him! He is not sure want he wants to do career/job wise yet so that makes it trickier. My initial feeling was for him to start at year 11 with his brother as this will give him some settling in time and wouldn't hurt to go over some work again. But then he will already be 17 (Nov 16) and he is big for his age anyway so I don't want him to feel out of place with the other year 11's as he will already be different having lived in England since he was 4!

i am am really stuck on this one! any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks xxx

I'd be concerned too, moving kids at that age can be tricky without the added issue of autism on the side.

First of all, forget what year level they may be in UK. There'll be no repeating, they've not done the Aus curriculum before and the general rule of thumb is to place with their age peers regardless of what year they may have been in in a foreign country.

Your eldest is technically able to start year 12 but as the final two years of school are a two year package then missing one of those years would be disadvantageous. So, yes, he should definitely do the full yr 11/12 program. However, he may feel less out of place if he was to do the 11/12 program at TAFE rather than in a HS especially if his younger sibling is there too (when is his birthday? He may not be yr 11 but yr 10). TAFE might also offer him different career prospects if Uni isn't his short term goal.

Personally I wouldn't be moving until they are done with A levels once they've started in the GCSE merry go round, conversions seem a bit hit and miss and that's important if they have aspirations for Uni and A levels travel well to Aus Unis and keeps all their educational options open

Thank you for your reply. I know it's not an ideal time to move but due to family circumstances it has to be then. Thank you for mentioning TAFE that is definitely a more appealing option for him. They both attend a studio school here which is attached and run alongside a college equivalent to TAFE so it would be very familiar environment for him.

My younger son will definition be year 11 I have checked. He is very clever and well ahead of what he should be for his age. For year 10 here he is focusing on his core subjects (maths, English, sciences, History and computer science) so he is ready for moving in year 11. I moved to QLD during high school and adapted quickly not finding the curriculum too different at all x

We moved straight after my son got his GCSE results in the UK. He joined a school in Brisbane for the last term of Year 11 and has moved into Year 12 this year. A lot depends on the GCSE results - my son got great results so they have used his results to offset against him not doing Year 11 here. If your son's GCSE results are not great, you are coming out here at the start of the school year anyway, so he could just start Year 11 and do the two years.

The system here is not like the UK. You cannot compare them. Your son's age will also come into consideration when they decide what year he should go in.

I I would recommend starting to contact some schools or TAFEs to establish a relationship.

Hi there

In Queensland a student's learning account remains open for 9 years from when they are first registered with the QCAA. This means that they can in theory take longer to gain the credits they need. They also have the option of qualifying for University through the rank system if an OP was not obtained. For example a student who does not follow an OP route can get a rank of 68 by completing certain Cert III qualifications at TAFE. This is enough to enter many university courses assuming they have passed English.

When I moved with my son he entered year 11 having completed half of year 10 in UK. He is also autistic (asperger) and for me the important thing was to keep the pressure off and make sure he felt comfortable and happy with all the changes. He took the option of studying less subjects and topping up later which worked well for him because he got what he needed. There are lots of options.

Year 12 is a high pressure year and the assessments come thick and fast. it is worth them having a lead in to get used to the system here.

good luck

Do you have family that your eldest son could stay with until he finishes year 12 ? or even boarding ? Its not a long period of time and with the knowledge that at the end of year 12 he will be joining you with his qualifications in place ready to go on to taft you and your son may feel that is a good option.

Millennium - That's really good to know thank you x my son also has aspegers (although in UK they are moving towards it all being referred to as ASD). I totally agree with taking the pressure off, that is how I feel x I finished high school in Australia in 1997 so I was not entirely sure it worked the same way. It appears to though! Thank u for your advice xxx

Tina2- that thought has crossed my mind, however my son is desperate to move back to Australia! He is very proud of his Aussie roots! As a child with ASD they get fixated on certain things and for him Australia is one! I weighed up sending him ahead to family, but again I wouldn't be there to support big changes and also I have custody issues with my ex in Australia who hasn't seen him for 12 years so I wouldn't want to put my family in Oz through any rubbish that might occur. My parents would happily keep him here to finish year 12 but I don't think he would agree to stay. Also year 12 in England doesn't convert to year 12 in Australia as far as I am aware so he may need to stay on longer to get A levels etc... Which I know he would not do.

I think a good TAFE might well be the answer for him,too- especially as otherwise he might be in the same year as his brother which might be a bit hard for both of them. I'd be checking all the local TAFES and finding out which ones are good in the subjects he likes. Someone here will no doubt be able to help with that or perhaps you know a few locals already?

I think a good TAFE might well be the answer for him,too- especially as otherwise he might be in the same year as his brother which might be a bit hard for both of them. I'd be checking all the local TAFES and finding out which ones are good in the subjects he likes. Someone here will no doubt be able to help with that or perhaps you know a few locals already?

I agree. I have been looking today and Alexandra Hills TAFE does the full year 11/12 programme so that would be an option but I think as I have time on my side I will wait to see how year 11 progresses and maybe once I have some more accurate mid term predicted grades I will chat to someone at TAFE for advice on his options. Plus by then he may have a better idea on what he wants to do! Younger one is much easier he wants to be a vet or possibly a doctor and he is a straight A student so can't see him having to many worries! Luckily our daughter will only just be starting grade 5 so a much easier transition is anticipated!

Tina2- that thought has crossed my mind, however my son is desperate to move back to Australia! He is very proud of his Aussie roots! As a child with ASD they get fixated on certain things and for him Australia is one! I weighed up sending him ahead to family, but again I wouldn't be there to support big changes and also I have custody issues with my ex in Australia who hasn't seen him for 12 years so I wouldn't want to put my family in Oz through any rubbish that might occur. My parents would happily keep him here to finish year 12 but I don't think he would agree to stay. Also year 12 in England doesn't convert to year 12 in Australia as far as I am aware so he may need to stay on longer to get A levels etc... Which I know he would not do.

Gee I can see now why it is so complicated. I hope it all works out for you and your son

Archived