The central coast

trabonita

Hi,

Anyone on the central coast? We are planning to move out in the next 6months, we have our visas. We did a reccie about 18mths ago and liked lots of areas but didn't particularly find anywhere we really wanted to live. Would love opinions on nice family friendly areas (we have a 3&1 yr old). We hopefully won't need to commute to Sydney so we can consider any area. Would love somewhere with a nice community feel. Any ideas/opinions? Many thanks.

We love the Central Coast, wise move. If you want beach...Terrigal, Avoca, Bateau Bay (one side of the main road). Bit cheaper would be Umina, Ettalong. Or nearer to the centre of Gosford would be East Gosford, Erina, Green point. All these have good little schools but there are so many near these. Nearer to the Newcastle end of the freeway would be The Entrance and I think this is a little less attractive but cheaper.

Do a six month rental first, you'll soon get a feel for different areas.

Depending on where you work, the commute from the coast is really not too bad. And you have the option of driving or train.

Driving into the city CBD daily would be painful yes - although I know loads who do it daily. So if you lived in the CC; maybe better to get the train in instead.

But if you worked in Hornsby, Gordon or one of the Upper North Shore areas.....then the commute would be just fine.

A really nice area on the coast to live is Macmasters Beach. And if you don't like the beach, then Jilliby is a nice rural type area.

Brooklyn or Dangar Island just before the CC, could be a good option as very popular. Although Dangar Island would be rather unique since it is boat access only (obviously being an island), but a fantastic and safe place to bring up children

About 20 minutes south of the CC, places like Mount-Kuring-Gai and Berowra are very very very popular for young families. Easy commute to city too. Otherwise somewhere more towards the CBD like Wahroonga, Turramurra, Killara and so on are all possibilities. I really like the Mount-Kuring-Gai area personally.

Best thing to do is: arrive and book into short term (3 months) accommodation and then do little trips around checking areas out for yourself.

but my husband works in healthcare as do I and there are lots of options on the central coast.

What is your definition of healthcare?

Hornsby has a hospital and lots of child / aged care places where you could get jobs. And there is the Sydney Adventist Hospital in Wahroonga. Both an easy commute from the coast (Hornsby more so).

Thanks for the replies. I am a midwife and my Hubble is a podiatrist.

I am guessing if you do shift work then being nearer to the hospital where you work is better?

However, The Sans, Ryde and Hornsby hospitals have midwives and these locations could be accessed from the CC, if you don't mind traveling a bit. According to my TripView app : if you left Gosford on the slow train at 7.24am, you would arrive in Hornsby at 8.09am. And it is even faster on the Newcastle speed train that skips the stations in between.

The CC would probably be a good middle spot for you. Cheaper houses than Sydney and a nice lifestyle. Hornsby to the south has an established medical area with many podiatrists centers in the streets around the hospital. Then to the North there is Newcastle who also have a hospital. And then of course you have Gosford and Wyong hospitals and medical areas in the CC anyway.

There are lots of aged care homes on the CC and these have visiting podiatrists.

I reckon you two are set. I cannot imagine you will have problems finding work (of course you could as nothing is guaranteed in the life!) but you both have good skills that could potentially take you anywhere in Australia. Perhaps you may even consider a stint in one of the rural bush remote communities or Aboriginal communities. Or maybe even a stint with the Flying Doctors.

You could even maybe buy a house on the CC and rent it out. That will give you the opportunity to work in other locations and maybe find somewhere you really want to live

Other nice CC locations I really like are : Tumbi Umbi, Lake Macquarie, Ourimbah and Somersby Falls.

• 6 months later...

Archived