Chief Engineer AMSA Orals

Marvin Buns

• 4 weeks later...

Hello captain R and Captain C,

Thanks to all who has put valuable information on this forum, it helps a lot. Effort put by you guys is very helpful, keep up the good work.

I cleared my oral as engine watchkeeper on 19th April and attaching my questions file. I request Captain R and Captain C to start a new dropbox for engineers, that can help future aspirants. thanks.

regards

sandy dhull

AMSA ORAL QUESTIONS.pdf

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

I sailed as a chief engineer for last two years and just gave my AMSA orals for certificate of recognition and cleared in first attempt by the grace of our Lord Jesus. Although the orals was conducted for almost 4 hrs approximately.  Here the surveyor checks your logical thinking, technical knowledge, legislative laws of Australia and initial actions in terms of safety whether it may be a maintenance job or emergency preparedness . He grilled me more on the legislative laws. Nothing to worry about.....It is not tough neither it is easy, but have confidence. The questions asked to me were as follows,

1. Introduce yourself (Rank , experience, company ....etc).

2. What are marine orders and marine notices, difference between these two?

3. What is OSHMI act? Objective and structure.

4. What are designated groups?

5. What is HSR and functions?

6. What is PIN? Who issues it and purpose?

7. What are the different certificates carried on board. Period intervals for surveys of each certificate?

8. What is Bottom survey of the vessel and interval for inspection?

9. MLC Certification and different certificates of MLC compliance?

10. Fire in engine room, actions? CO2 flooding preparations?

11. Entry after extinguishing the fire? Precautions to be taken?

12. Main engine failure? Actions and reporting?

13. Abandon ship procedures? Role of MRCC? Ship distress signal ?

14. Incase you are the only person onboard, how do you inform or send distress signal? EPIRB information.

15. Rest hours regulations?

16. International regulations on sulphur content globally and emission control areas?

17. Enclosed space entry procedures and precautions?

18. Steering gear failure actions ? Emergency steering drill and testing? Interval of testing?

19. PSC inspections? If any breakdown just before PSC inspection, what is your action as chief engineer? 

20. ISM Code? Purpose and objectives and how it is implemented on board?

21. New joiner shipboard familiarisation?

22. What is Solas Training Manual? Location onboard?

23. What is FFA and LSA manual and location on board? 

24. Refrigeration system safeties? Incase have problem and have ozone depleting refrigerant onboard, what is the procedure for maintenance?

25. What is ODS record book? Purpose and entries?

26.  Boiler, low water level actions, no water in gauge glass-actions as chief engineer?

27. What is safety valve and procedure for setting safety valve?

28. Main engine failure, high exhaust temperature, action and troubleshooting?

29. Main engine starting problem ? Engine staring on air but later not turning? actions and trouble shooting.

30.Starting air line diagram and interlocks? Operation of Main engine right from air released from air bottle and later what happens.

31. Bunkering Procedures, Checks as a chief engineer while receiving bunkers, before during and after bunkers? Also pre bunker meeting with

barge representative, what to check for and if ordered fuel sulphur content is not within the acceptable limit what is action to be taken? Do you receive the bunkers?

32. Great Barrier reef , is it special area or not? Incase you have to pump out, what is your action as a chief engineer? Will you do it?

33. OWS different Entries and codes for transfer? Testing of OWS and 3-way valve and entries?

34. After bunkering entries into ORB? what is recorded?

35. Overhauling Of Electric Motors? Procedures?

36.Taking Shore power checks and procedure?

37. Training of Juniors and Crew?

38. Safety meeting and compliance committee? Purpose and members?

39. Emergency preparedness, drills and muster list location and purpose? 

40. IAPP certificate? Equipments included and inspection and survey?

Finally the golden words, You are passed. Thanks to the surveyor.

Just a piece of advise....don't be scared, have your confidence in what you answer, if you don't know about a topic....acknowledge that you don't know. Also pray before the exams.

Thanks a lot guys... and also to this forum for your valuable inputs and do post your questions when you give exams... it may help someone else....Just remember the golden

words " The more you give is the measure you get" God Bless you all.....All the best for your exams.