Chief Engineer AMSA Orals

Marvin Buns

Helo!!!, i have just finished with my assesment for qualification from amsa ,i am a sailing chief engineer at present and holding

class-1 chief eng. license from philippines. would appreciate if someone could share the questions generally asked on AMSA Orals.and which oral centre would be best

to book orals in ???Thanks.

Hi Marvin,

Although I'm a Master rather than Engineer, I can say that there is no real difference in the AMSA offices. Take a look at the syllabus for Chief Engineer on the AMSA website.

Be prepared for a full Chief's Orals rather than just a legislation based examination, they want to ensure your complete competence rather than just your knowledge of the Australian regulatory framework

Hi Marvin,

Although I'm a Master rather than Engineer, I can say that there is no real difference in the AMSA offices. Take a look at the syllabus for Chief Engineer on the AMSA website.

Be prepared for a full Chief's Orals rather than just a legislation based examination, they want to ensure your complete competence rather than just your knowledge of the Australian regulatory framework

Hello Captain C,

I am sailing as a chief engineer. I have orals next month for Class 1. Can you kindly advice the questions asked in orals examinations? I saw the link u posted for orals but it is for mates. Can u advice for engineers..

Hello Captain C,

I am sailing as a chief engineer. I have orals next month for Class 1. Can you kindly advice the questions asked in orals examinations? I saw the link u posted for orals but it is for mates. Can u advice for engineers..

Sorry, I can't give any guidance for Engineers, it's not my field.

I would say though that as I mentioned to the other member on this thread to seek out the syllabus for C/E CoC on the AMSA website.

Sorry, I can't give any guidance for Engineers, it's not my field.

I would say though that as I mentioned to the other member on this thread to seek out the syllabus for C/E CoC on the AMSA website.

Hi Captain C,

Will do as advised. However, is it possible to get questions from AMSA centres if we go there in advance a few days?

Hi Captain C,

Will do as advised. However, is it possible to get questions from AMSA centres if we go there in advance a few days?

Not at all. I'm curious to know why you think they would do that. It's a ticket to show competence, so if I was an examiner I'd be extremely upset with that question.

They will only tell you to follow the syllabus.

The syllabus is here > http://www.amsa.gov.au/seafarers/int-qualifications/examinations/documents/appendix9-syllabus-amsa-oral-exam-certificate-recognition-engineer-watckeeper.pdf

Be fully prepared for any technical questions over and above these guidelines.

Edited by CaptainC

Not at all. I'm curious to know why you think they would do that. It's a ticket to show competence, so if I was an examiner I'd be extremely upset with that question.

They will only tell you to follow the syllabus. Have you found it yet?

Hello,

I have found the syllabus on AMSA site.

However, I meant if we can get the questions from students being interviewed and not the examiner/invigiltor..

Hello,

I have found the syllabus on AMSA site.

However, I meant if we can get the questions from students being interviewed and not the examiner/invigiltor..

Yes of course that's possible if you want to do that. Bear in mind though that you may not meet anyone doing the same ticket.

Your time would most likely be better spent going through the regulatory instruments unique to Australia. Such as the OH&S (Maritime industry) Act, Marine Orders, Navigation Act etc. These are extensive documents, and to thoroughly understand them then it will take a lot of time.

If you wish to provide the questions to me afterwards then I can add them to the Dropbox and start a separate engineer folder in there to help any future engineering candidates.

Yes of course that's possible if you want to do that. Bear in mind though that you may not meet anyone doing the same ticket.

Your time would most likely be better spent going through the regulatory instruments unique to Australia. Such as the OH&S (Maritime industry) Act, Marine Orders, Navigation Act etc. These are extensive documents, and to thoroughly understand them then it will take a lot of time.

If you wish to provide the questions to me afterwards then I can add them to the Dropbox and start a separate engineer folder in there to help any future engineering candidates.

Will definitely revert with the questions asked to me to assist other engineers.

Do they ask in details about the Navigation Act, Marine Orders or a general knowledge would suffice? I mean do we need to prepare the stuff inside the Navigation Act and all individual MO's?

Will definitely revert with the questions asked to me to assist other engineers.

Do they ask in details about the Navigation Act, Marine Orders or a general knowledge would suffice? I mean do we need to prepare the stuff inside the Navigation Act and all individual MO's?

Thanks that would be helpful.

Yes they expect a full working knowledge of the legislation.

Take a look at the deck officer oral exam papers and look for any common themes, this may help you.

Thanks that would be helpful.

Yes they expect a full working knowledge of the legislation.

Take a look at the deck officer oral exam papers and look for any common themes, this may help you.

Hello CaptainC,

Is it necessary to do a skill assessment of your Bachelor's Degree? Or AMSA will do the assessment for education too. I mean I have done a B.E. Mechanical degree and is it necessary to do skill assessment for it?

Hello CaptainC,

Is it necessary to do a skill assessment of your Bachelor's Degree? Or AMSA will do the assessment for education too. I mean I have done a B.E. Mechanical degree and is it necessary to do skill assessment for it?

Only if you are intending on claiming the points for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Captain C,

I've been following all your posts on this site regarding AMSA and must thank you for the info provided.

I appeared for the oral examination in Sept 2015 for class 2 engineer.... did not get thru the first time cause I had only prepared Australian legislation and also general safety like SOLAS and MARPOL, ISM etc which the examiner was pleased with..

I messed up with the other part of the exam mainly because I did not prepare and was totally out of touch.. please add the questions asked to me for the benefit of others who will be appearing to all the threads that you are active in..

1) First part was on legislation- different acts, why acts and marine orders- difference between them, OHS act

2) Actions to be taken for Oil in Boiler

3) Junior reports gauge glass is showing empty- actions to be taken

4) Enclosed space entry

5)Air starting line/ starting air valve/ reversing/ timing diagrams/ excessive vibration in engine is reported- what to check

6)Steering gear- how it is controlled from bridge?

7) Synchroscope/ synchronising lamps/ alternator maintenance

though the questions were simple, what threw me off was the examiner expecting a diagram for every word that came out of my mouth 'can you draw it? can you explain to me by drawing?" was really frustrating as had last practised any drawing in 2012 when I did my exams...

well.. I'm appearing again for the exam to see how it goes this time.. have focussed on the drawings.. if it doesn't work out.. will come here on my wifes skills :)

Hello Captain C,

I've been following all your posts on this site regarding AMSA and must thank you for the info provided.

I appeared for the oral examination in Sept 2015 for class 2 engineer.... did not get thru the first time cause I had only prepared Australian legislation and also general safety like SOLAS and MARPOL, ISM etc which the examiner was pleased with..

I messed up with the other part of the exam mainly because I did not prepare and was totally out of touch.. please add the questions asked to me for the benefit of others who will be appearing to all the threads that you are active in..

1) First part was on legislation- different acts, why acts and marine orders- difference between them, OHS act

2) Actions to be taken for Oil in Boiler

3) Junior reports gauge glass is showing empty- actions to be taken

4) Enclosed space entry

5)Air starting line/ starting air valve/ reversing/ timing diagrams/ excessive vibration in engine is reported- what to check

6)Steering gear- how it is controlled from bridge?

7) Synchroscope/ synchronising lamps/ alternator maintenance

though the questions were simple, what threw me off was the examiner expecting a diagram for every word that came out of my mouth 'can you draw it? can you explain to me by drawing?" was really frustrating as had last practised any drawing in 2012 when I did my exams...

well.. I'm appearing again for the exam to see how it goes this time.. have focussed on the drawings.. if it doesn't work out.. will come here on my wifes skills :)

Thanks for the information and sorry to hear that you didn't get through the orals this time.

I will include your post in the Orals Dropbox for future candidates.

Best of luck for the next go!!

First attempt:

1. Different laws in Australia

2. Why laws and marine orders

3. Chapters of SOLAS, Marpol

4. Oil in boiler- actions to be taken, how to cleanthe boiler

5. Nothing to be seen in boiler gauge glass-actions to be taken

6. Excessive vibration reported from engine- whatto check, actions to be taken

7. Steering gear control method

8. Air starting line

9. Engine reversing

10. Valve timing diagram

11. Earth fault lamps

12. Synchroscope

Second attempt:

1. Steam coil is leaking in fuel tk- procedure torepair it

1. Enclosed space entry

2. Risk assessment

3. Other permits required

4. Method of repair of the coil

5. Pressure testing the coil

[*]Electrical- insulated and earthed neutral- how aperson gets shock

[*]Dd- Connections given from DD

1. What if wrong phase sequence in electricalconnection

[*]Refrigeration- safeties, problems

[*]Chocks- material

1. Difference between steel and cast iron

2. Destructive and NDT tests

3. Material of ship side valves

[*]Starting air line system

1. Air line explosion

[*]Steering gear- control of pump (hunting gear)

1. Modes of steering- Auto, FU, NFU

[*]Types of boiler safety valves

1. Difference between them

[*]Previous crew was working on an aux engine andyou have taken over- they have removed the cam shaft and you have to fit itback- no markings nothing on shaft or engine- how you will fit back.

Everything to be supported by diagrams!

Congrats to clear on the second attempt.

Kindly inform which centre you appeared for your orals?

It seems you got your second chance on the very next week. Generally speaking are we allowed to appear in consecutive weeks?

kindly advice.

First attempt:

1. Different laws in Australia
  2. Why laws and marine orders
  3. Chapters of SOLAS, Marpol
  4. Oil in boiler- actions to be taken, how to cleanthe boiler
  5. Nothing to be seen in boiler gauge glass-actions to be taken
  6. Excessive vibration reported from engine- whatto check, actions to be taken
  7. Steering gear control method
  8. Air starting line
  9. Engine reversing
  10. Valve timing diagram
  11. Earth fault lamps
  12. Synchroscope

Second attempt:

1. Steam coil is leaking in fuel tk- procedure torepair it
    1. Enclosed space entry
    2. Risk assessment
    3. Other permits required
    4. Method of repair of the coil
    5. Pressure testing the coil

[*]Electrical- insulated and earthed neutral- how aperson gets shock

[*]Dd- Connections given from DD

1. What if wrong phase sequence in electricalconnection

[*]Refrigeration- safeties, problems

[*]Chocks- material

1. Difference between steel and cast iron
      2. Destructive and NDT tests
      3. Material of ship side valves

[*]Starting air line system

1. Air line explosion

[*]Steering gear- control of pump (hunting gear)

1. Modes of steering- Auto, FU, NFU

[*]Types of boiler safety valves

1. Difference between them

[*]Previous crew was working on an aux engine andyou have taken over- they have removed the cam shaft and you have to fit itback- no markings nothing on shaft or engine- how you will fit back.

Everything to be supported by diagrams!

I did the exam in Melbourne.. Surveyor was one of the friendliest guys (especially for me coming from India),.. but do not let his friendliness make you lower your guard as at the end of the day you have to answer all his questions for him to tick off on his sheet of paper..

It is very easy to clear.. just go thru the syllabus and make sure you can talk on all the topics given there.. supported by some diagrams..

mainly he is looking for safety when he asked the 'oil in boiler question and steam pipe leakage'

other questions just wants to see you have a working knowledge and know what ur talking about.

Resitting the exam is upto you.. he asked me if I wanted one or two weeks to prepare more.. I said i'll take two.. so appeared after 2 weeks..

I did the exam in Melbourne.. Surveyor was one of the friendliest guys (especially for me coming from India),.. but do not let his friendliness make you lower your guard as at the end of the day you have to answer all his questions for him to tick off on his sheet of paper..

It is very easy to clear.. just go thru the syllabus and make sure you can talk on all the topics given there.. supported by some diagrams..

mainly he is looking for safety when he asked the 'oil in boiler question and steam pipe leakage'

other questions just wants to see you have a working knowledge and know what ur talking about.

Resitting the exam is upto you.. he asked me if I wanted one or two weeks to prepare more.. I said i'll take two.. so appeared after 2 weeks..

hey chrisd,

thank u for ur prompt reply n detailed information.

wishing u a good luck for your future endeavour.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...