taking a dog to Australia

Guest GemmaClaire

Awe, couldn't ya put him in ya pocket?:biglaugh:

Seriously though I think you have been charged too much for him.

It is usualy by weight and I was quoted around £2k for each of my big brutes (and they eat more than he weighs each sitting:biglaugh:

Paul.

Sorry you are wrong its based on volume on the size of the crate not the weight of the dog

Malx

Hi All

We're taking a Cocker Spaniel & a Springer Spaniel & we're using Pet Air who are based down in Dorset (we're just outside Worcester). They do a complete service where they do all of the paperwork for you & even come to your house to do the blood tests etc - all this for only £3655 (for them both). The quarantine costs are charged separately on top of this.

I can highly recommend Pet Air so far (dogs flying out to Sydney on 1st July so will give an update!) as they've taken all of the stress out of it & were absolutely lovely when they came up to do the bloods etc. My springer went completely schitzo & howled every time they put a hand behind his neck - such a brave boy!

We're just waiting for the results of the blood tests so it'll be a nervous week until we hear!

Rach & Bernie

We used Petair they were brill when did your dog have his jabs if he had the leptiro*** blood test it will prob fail if his jabs were less than 6 month old

Malx

Guest brooksey

You Cant put your dog in Quarenteen in Brisbane. They have to go to Sydney and then you can have them flown upto Brisbane after (£350 ish) We are going to Brisbane in Sept . Morris our german shepherd is costing us £3700 with petair but they sort everything including sending a vet to your house as only certain vets are allowed.

Guest yvonne and paul

Hi ya all i have a bigger problem than the cost as i have THREE dogs and i have to apply for a licence once we all arrive in Perth to keep the third dog, what do you do if they say no you cant keep the third dog? we dont have any family and would fined it harder to rehouse a dog in a new country. So its not the cost, which is a lot mind as they are all worth it, it trying to get someone to rent a house to us untill we buy. This is been doing my head in ? rehouse or take a chance and take all three? any suggestion?

:chatterbox: thanks yvonne

Guest yvonne and paul

Any of you had problems finding rential s due to you having dogs/ cats in oz?

and how long before you move to oz do you have to start organizing things for them such as blood test ect.:wideeyed: thanks yvonne

Guest trixabella
hi

We Are Taking 2 Dachshunds Because Have Been Told If You Have More Than 2 You Have To Register As Kennel:wacko:. But We Have Had A Quote For £1800 It Will Be Another $600 Each For Quaritine Which Is A Month, But Have Not Found Out Vet Bills This End Yet Our Vet Just Had A Very Large Grin On His Face When Told Him Our Plans:swoon:. They Charge By Weight Of Animal And All This Was Based At Going To Brisbane Not Sure If It Would Be Any Cheaper At Perth Being Shorter Distance.

The Quotes Are Free From The Pet Companies They Want Mind If You Give Them A Call, Hope This Helps.

Lou.

Hi Rickard Family

Jus Wonderd Which Company Gave U A Quote 4 £1800 As That Seem Quite Cheap.

I Have A Miniture Schnauzer Which We Will Be Taking With Us 2 Brisbane......when We Go!

Guest The Pom Queen
Hey..

i thought that you could only send dogs to sydney and perth but i see some of you guys saying brisbane and melbourne!!

Does anyone know where they can be booked into then and any more info on the kennels would be fab!!

Hi

You have the quarantine in Melbourne which is Spotswood and Eastern Creek in Sydney and also Byford in Perth more information can be found here: Melbourne Pet Minders Importing Pets to Australia

What a long week waiting for the results of the blood tests - finally over though. Unfortunately, both our dogs have tested weakly positive for Lepto (one had last innoculations a year ago, one had them 7 months ago!) so they need retesting in a week to check the levels aren't increasing (unlikely thank god).

At least they didn't test positive for the Ehrlichea (no idea how you spell it!) test as they wouldn't be allowed in with any positive result of that - I'm breathing much easier now!

Rach & Bernie (& Henry & Charlie)

Can you let us have contact details for either Golden Arrow or Pet Air as these two both sound pretty good. We have a nearly three year old Springer who is of small build! Do these firms book the place at the quarantine kennels? Has anybody not been able to fly their dog out when they planned due to the kennels being fully booked?

Guest trixabella
Can you let us have contact details for either Golden Arrow or Pet Air as these two both sound pretty good. We have a nearly three year old Springer who is of small build! Do these firms book the place at the quarantine kennels? Has anybody not been able to fly their dog out when they planned due to the kennels being fully booked?

golden arrows tel no: 01588 680240

they are based in shropshire

good luck!

:v_SPIN:

Guest yvonne and paul

Hi Rachel & Bernie how long before your moving over to oz have you had to have the dogs bloods tested? Have you had problems finding a rental with having them?

Thanks yvonne :chatterbox:

Guest Karen K
We were quoted £1500 from Air Pets for out Miniature Yorkshire Terrier - he only weighs 2.3kgs!! They sent us a letter breaking down the bill $450 for quarantine. DSC04344.jpg

Soooooooooooooooo cute XX

Hi Radar - Pet Air telephone number is 01725 551124 - I've been in touch with almost everyone there via e-mail mostly though. A lady called Linsey deals with admin etc & her e-mail is linsey@petairuk.com - she'll forward your enquiry to the correct person if necessary.

Yvonne & Paul - our dogs had their blood tests 4 weeks before travel date - as they're both slightly positive they need retesting for Leptospirosis 2 weeks after the initial test to check their levels haven't increased. We're going to be in temporary accommodation when we first land so we've sourced a Kennels for the dogs. We're constantly looking at rentals online - Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au - though as we're going to be renting to start with & it seems to be the same as in the UK. Not that many rentals accept dogs but there seem to be some 'pets considered' properties too - we're just going to look frantically when we land. We've been told that the rental market is v fast moving so there's no point trying to do it until we get there - our furniture could take up to 10 weeks anyway.

Does anyone know what Leptospirosis actually is by the way?

Rach & Bernie

Guest The Pom Queen

Does anyone know what Leptospirosis actually is by the way?

Rach & Bernie

Hi Rach

Leptospira is a bacteria that can affect the kidney and liver and cause them to shut down. It is carried usually by the rat (or other infected host) and is then transmitted to the dog through contaminated urine, bites, other bodily fluids ie mm etc. It can also be picked up from infected rivers like giardia. Although Leptospira is zoonotic you could easily pick it up by swimming in an infected river yourself. In my time in Oz I have never come across a case of Leptospira in the clinic, it is usually giardia we come across.

Hope that makes sense I am really tired and just on my way to bed:SLEEP:

Hi Rach

Leptospira is a bacteria that can affect the kidney and liver and cause them to shut down. It is carried usually by the rat (or other infected host) and is then transmitted to the dog through contaminated urine, bites, other bodily fluids ie mm etc. It can also be picked up from infected rivers like giardia. Although Leptospira is zoonotic you could easily pick it up by swimming in an infected river yourself. In my time in Oz I have never come across a case of Leptospira in the clinic, it is usually giardia we come across.

Your dog would have high levels becos it is a part of the vaccine for dogs in the uk, my dog failed in March he had been vaccinated the previous srptember he was retesed 2 weeks later and surprise surprise passed

Malx

Hi Rach

Hi M2M - many thanks for the info & I know exactly where they've picked it up then! We live next to a river that's flooded several times in the last 12 months & both dogs have been in the water lots - it's difficult to keep our springer out actually!

Your dog would have high levels becos it is a part of the vaccine for dogs in the uk, my dog failed in March he had been vaccinated the previous srptember he was retesed 2 weeks later and surprise surprise passed

Malx

Hi Yorkshire Pom - ours had their last vaccinations in Nov 07/July 07 & still tested slightly positive in Jun 08 - it must be the infected water keeping their levels up so I'll keep them away until the retest. That'll be easier said than done! :arghh:

Arrgghh!! Been trying to measure the dog tonight to give to these firms for some quotes. What a baby! Every time he sees us coming towards him with a tape measure he goes all wimpy, rolls onto his back and just refuses to let us measure him. We've let him carry the tape measure around for a while so he knows it's not going to hurt him, but as soon as it's back in my hand he goes all daft again. It's not as though he's ever been mistreated or anything - we've had him since he was a pup - he is just a wimp! Oh well, I guess I'd better keep trying.

Hi Radar - try just letting your dog stand next to something that you can visually mark how tall/long they are (a door/end of sofa etc) & then measure that with the tape measure. Our springer was exactly the same as your dog - as soon as we tried to measure him anywhere he rolled over or twisted round. This is a dog who has no fear otherwise - jumps through brambly hedges, leaps into the unknown etc - he just doesn't like it when you're behind his head!

Rach & Bernie

Guest ellie2
Arrgghh!! Been trying to measure the dog tonight to give to these firms for some quotes. What a baby! Every time he sees us coming towards him with a tape measure he goes all wimpy, rolls onto his back and just refuses to let us measure him. We've let him carry the tape measure around for a while so he knows it's not going to hurt him, but as soon as it's back in my hand he goes all daft again. It's not as though he's ever been mistreated or anything - we've had him since he was a pup - he is just a wimp! Oh well, I guess I'd better keep trying.

Dont worry to much about the measurements being exact, I had the same problem when measuring for Ellie. Its only used for the quote, to see how big the dog is, Ellies crate was actually made when she arrived at Golden Arrows which was a huge relief as I was worrying whether I had measured correctly. By the way her crate was brilliant so much better than I thought it would be, she had enough room to stand and to turn round.

Good Luck

Christine

Hi M2M - many thanks for the info & I know exactly where they've picked it up then! We live next to a river that's flooded several times in the last 12 months & both dogs have been in the water lots - it's difficult to keep our springer out actually!

Hi Rachel Your Dogs haven't "picked it up" they are vaccinated AGAINST it in the UK which is why they are testing slightly positive! The other Poster explained how and where they can catch it ............I'm assuming...........if they are NOT vaccinated against it!:unsure:

Guest The Pom Queen

Rach asked what Leptospirosis was, so I was answering this part of her post. It is true that the dogs are vaccinated against Lepto and therefore it can cause problems when you come to test for it. Lepto is a bacterial disease, so the protective vaccination is a bacterin. It is thought in most clinics that there is to much of a reaction to the vaccine and a lot of us have stopped including it in our vaccination protocals.

It is unlikely that the dogs had this prior to their vaccination, however, if they did the vaccination would not stop them shedding Lepto.

Usually the vaccination wears off in 12 months, however if they have done a blood test on the dog and the reading was higher than 1:800 this usually shows that lepto is still in the body. However a true reading can only be given if the dogs titre level is tested 3 weeks later and it has increased 4 fold.

Also as there are 200 serovars if the blood test shows a reading greater than 1:800 for a serovar that is not included in the vaccine then the dog will indeed be positive for lepto even though it is vaccinated. It is same for most vaccinations they can only vaccinate against certain strains of a disease and unfortunately there are new strains coming in to play everday.

Anyway, please do not worry the above information is general information in regards to leptospirosis, your dogs have recently had the vaccination so I am positive that when you go back to check the titre levels everything will be ok:v_SPIN:

Archived