Help! Gold coast questions

sawsand

Hi all

would be grateful for advice/opinions on the following:

1) What are 'good' and family friendly areas in the Gold Coast?

2) Have heard that Southport/Ashmore decent areas and if so is that the case?

3) Good primary and secondary schools in Gold Coast ( older daughter Year 8 currently in grammar school in UK ) ?

All opinions/advices/suggestions truly appreciated.

thank you

Personally I wouldnt live in southport and as far as i know its not known as one of the family areas, could be wrong though.

I think southern end of the GC is better, mermaid to currumbin. 'in land' (10 mins from the beach) places such as robina, varsity lakes, mudgeeraba, Reedy creek etc are all good areas and have some great schools too.

We currently live in Varsity Lakes and are building a house in Reedy Creek and our eldest son is at Varsity College in prep and we cant fault it. From the other schools we looked at its as good as a private school without the fees!

Do you have jobs yet? Traffic on the GC is getting ridiculous and the number of traffic lights is a joke and now the tram is in place its just screwed up the gold coast highway so I would consider where your jobs are/will be and work out places from there.

Southport and Ashmore have some nice parts for sure especially Ashmore

I was in Ashmore yesterday and very nice houses and areas for sure

I travel the whole of the Gold Coast with work and for sure there are some iffy places

My Wife covers all the schools on the Gold Coast and again some great some good and some not

See stopped coming on here a long time ago due to know it alls so sorry can't help on schools apart from Helensvale High which is very good for a state school

If you might be travelling to Brisbane for work I'd try not to live too far south on the Coast due to the travel it can be nightmare

I try and avoid the highway between 3.30pm and 6.30pm

Agree Varsity College is a very good state school and goes Prep to 12 so no need to change for high school but you must be in the catchment area. Northern GC has a lot of rentals and some of those areas are becoming rough, but there are also nice areas like hope island but then you have to look at what school you will choose. Upper Coomera in particular is one place to give a miss and even more so Upper Coomera State College. Robina has a fair few rentals as well but also nice pockets. Best thing is to rent for a few weeks and have a good look around as we all see different suburbs differently. This may help http://www.whereis.com/ using search you key in a name and it gives you a map, or use directions and you can key in where you will work to where you want to live and it gives a map and time to drive there. On the left is a list so you can select schools and they will show on the map.

My advice is look at your job opportunities , in turn this should determine whether northern or southern suburbs are best for you ...in terms of schools most are catchment areas and need a residing address ...rentals in most areas are very competitive .my advice is go on real estate .com.au to get a heads up on availability of your choice of area..look at the F1 forms or try download rental applications from real estate agencies ,Ashmore palms holiday village is a good stepping stone to look at ..its as central as you can get that is highly recommended between northern and southern suburbs ..plus you can use them as your residing adress for rental applications ..good luck on your journey and if I can help in any way feel free to message me

My advice is look at your job opportunities , in turn this should determine whether northern or southern suburbs are best for you ...in terms of schools most are catchment areas and need a residing address ...rentals in most areas are very competitive .my advice is go on real estate .com.au to get a heads up on availability of your choice of area..look at the F1 forms or try download rental applications from real estate agencies ,Ashmore palms holiday village is a good stepping stone to look at ..its as central as you can get that is highly recommended between northern and southern suburbs ..plus you can use them as your residing adress for rental applications ..good luck on your journey and if I can help in any way feel free to message me

Hi !

thank you for the advice. To be really honest , hubby is going first but problem is we haven't got a job or rental house etc lined up ! It's all quite daunting but we believe in ourselves and hope something works out. Main concerns are of course job prospects. Husband was a gas Engineer but now doing Gas management ( ie more office than tools based) . What are the job prospects in Gold Coast?

Which suburb do do you live in and also what's the education system like in Queensland ?

• 4 weeks later...

The very best of luck to you Sawsand!

We are likely to be moving to the Varsity area in a month's time. I am just waiting to get the go from work. I will be moving with a 7 and 5 year old. We were up there a couple of weekends ago and it looks really nice. I hadn't been before but we were totally skunnered with Sydney's prices. Been in South Sydney for 3 years after moving from Edinburgh.

Hoping to buy next year near Varsity in Robina where the blocks are a bit bigger. Houses in Varsity are like a lot of new areas and so close together as to be able to hear your neighbour fart with the window open! We like the Varsity College and Palm Beach Currumbin High Schools but they are both large schools.

S x

• 1 month later...

Hi,

been reading the above posts and I have friends who lived in various areas of the GC but settled in Robina near Varsity. She loved it, great community, close to the beach and both her chikdren went to varsity college and really loved it. So because of all the great feedback about the Robina, Varsity area and the Varsity College school I'm planning on heading over in March next year with my daughter...can't wait.

I'd to keep in touch with the few of you who live nearby the Robina, Varsity area as my daughter and I will be on our own and would really like to make new friends and join meet ups etc to help settle in

Great news!

We moved 6 days ago and are now exploring the area. Went to sea world today. Have to say this move from Sydney was bloody hard going and worse than our one from the uk. Glad to be here now and hoping to get the kids in school quick. They get bored very easily! Best of luck with your move louisej323.

S x

Hi Scozzie,

Congratulations on your move...Which suburb have you moved to? and which school are you looking at for your children?

In what way was the move harder than the UK?

Sorry for all the questions, not being nosey just helping with prepping myself for when I make the move...

Great news!

We moved 6 days ago and are now exploring the area. Went to sea world today. Have to say this move from Sydney was bloody hard going and worse than our one from the uk. Glad to be here now and hoping to get the kids in school quick. They get bored very easily! Best of luck with your move louisej323.

S x

Hi Louise323,

We managed to get a rental in varsity lakes. Kids start school ay varsity college soon. Been here over a week note. People are very friendly here and driving is a joy compared to sydney!

Leaving the uk was easy as it wasn't rushed and we'd psyched ourselves up for it. This time we had to do it to quickly and i started work the next day which was way to soon! I think for you the hard part is getting a place to stay. If was hard getting a place from nsw as most places want you to view the property first. We signed a form that stated we'd take it as is.

The lake is really nice and I've jogged round it a couple of times. There's a park run there every Saturday plus there's a kayaking club there too.

S x

Hi Scozzie,

That all sounds great that your settled in varsity, its really nice and they kids are starting school soon, I'm really pleased for you, although starting work the day after moving must have been stressful! I have a friend who is in Broadbeach a little further up the GC has said we can stay with them short term till we find somewhere, which is a big relief. My biggest headache is my visa, I'm looking for sponsorship as my occupation is not on the SOL list. Been told I may have to come out and look for work whilst there...thats a bit un-nerving for me but may be the only way. I'm trying to contact as many employers as I can In the hope something may come of it. :(

Hi Louise323,

We managed to get a rental in varsity lakes. Kids start school ay varsity college soon. Been here over a week note. People are very friendly here and driving is a joy compared to sydney!

Leaving the uk was easy as it wasn't rushed and we'd psyched ourselves up for it. This time we had to do it to quickly and i started work the next day which was way to soon! I think for you the hard part is getting a place to stay. If was hard getting a place from nsw as most places want you to view the property first. We signed a form that stated we'd take it as is.

The lake is really nice and I've jogged round it a couple of times. There's a park run there every Saturday plus there's a kayaking club there too.

S x

Archived