How much lost/broken?

Mazza227

I was talking to a friend who emigrated last year, and they had a few things that either got broken or lost. She was ok as they had insured it and never had an issue with getting the money back. However it concerns me that she said the people that she knows out there haven't received everything they sent! Surely if you have sole use of a container (which we will and I know they did) how can things get lost? I know occasionally things go missing, but does this happen on a regular basis?

We have narrowed our choices down to Anglo or John Mason, who were both similar in cost and happy with both people that came round. Although after reading about Crown being responsible at both ends rather than handing over to another agent has made me think about getting a quote from them too! :smile:

We had loads lost and broken last time. It cost £800 just to get our clock repaired! Picture frames, mirrors, antique furniture, white goods etc etc, broken, lost or damaged.

Unfortunately, lots of things which were broken or lost only came to light later, after we'd claimed. How they managed to 'lose' a huge white sofa is still something which amazes me. They did eventually find it, but loads of other things are still missing including lots of things with sentimental value. We did pack most of the photos etc in our flight luggage, but other things we thought would be safe went in the container.

The company in Melbourne was useless and it took getting in touch with the CEO to get any resolution.

The companies we were happy with were Pickfords, Kent and Chess, but other people may well have had problems with them and been happy with the one we'd not use again - seems a bit of a lottery.

We have moved a few times now and to be honest we just resign ourselves to a little bit of damage. It is quite a big process with a lot of people involved and heavy lifting and we just think things going 100% perfectly is not realistic.

Really not not sure that things going missing is common place though, not for a sole use container. They pack it in front of you, seal it up in front of you and then unseal it in front of you the other end. So the only way things could go missing is through pilfering on moving days, because you cannot watch everyone the whole time.

I'll pm you.

Its true that there shouldn't be too much trouble if they're packing in front of you - we only had minor damage on our other three moves and nothing lost, but this one was packed in Sydney, transported to Melbourne where we thought we'd be living then they didn't export wrap anything when we had to change our plans a few months later. We had paid for sole use of a 40' container though which was arrived here only 2/3 full. No one had thought to question it at the other end!

The crew at this end were appalled at the standard of the packing even for a domestic move.

Archived