Primary Schools on the Gold Coast

Guest carolynr6280

Guest carolynr6280

Hi

I am emigrating to the Gold Coast in Jan 2009. I am after some advice about Primary Schools around the Southport area. My son will be 5 when we get there and if I'm thinking rightly he should be starting full time school in Feb 2009 (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this).

I am coming out on a student visa and will be studying in Southport. I would be interested in any suggestions of areas to live as I know nothing about the Gold Coast (only ever been to Perth). Been looking at Pacific Pines/Carrara/Gilston etc.......

Many Thanks

Carolyn xx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest waliam

i am in a similar postion. Does school session start in Feb in australia? I am relocating to Gold coast in sept but my son will be 4 in jan, he will be attending nursery and I would be interested to know when he can start full time school.

Hi, we live in Coombabah, and a good primary near us (I've been told) is Biggera Waters. This is in a reasonable drive from Southport, near the coast, down from Pacific Pines. It's a nice area, you could do worse! There's also Arundel Primary near us, and about four primary schools on Pac Pines. My eldest will start in January 2009 too; he's 5 on the 29th July 2008, so will be one of the oldest. You can't enrol for next year for another couple of weeks according to the schools website (Biggera Waters), so I'm going to go have a look around then.

Waliam, have a look at this link Enrolling your child

your son will not start prep until Jan 2010 (when my daughter starts!) They have to be 5 by the 30th June in the year they enrol.

Jo x

Guest waliam
Hi, we live in Coombabah, and a good primary near us (I've been told) is Biggera Waters. This is in a reasonable drive from Southport, near the coast, down from Pacific Pines. It's a nice area, you could do worse! There's also Arundel Primary near us, and about four primary schools on Pac Pines. My eldest will start in January 2009 too; he's 5 on the 29th July 2008, so will be one of the oldest. You can't enrol for next year for another couple of weeks according to the schools website (Biggera Waters), so I'm going to go have a look around then.

Waliam, have a look at this link Enrolling your child

your son will not start prep until Jan 2010 (when my daughter starts!) They have to be 5 by the 30th June in the year they enrol.

Jo x

thanks JO, much appreciate your reply.

Guest deebbzz

hi

i have been looking on the web and got this for you. all the names of the schools in the gold coast. all you will have to do is get the name and google it and it will bring up more info for you hope this helps.

i already know which svhool my boy will be going to when we get there. we will have 2 week holiday then straight into normal life, work and school.

hope this helps

Gold Coast Schools and Education on the Gold Coast Australia

Primary Schools at Gold Coast Australia .com

Gold Coast City Council - Primary Schools

good luck

debs

Guest carolynr6280

Thank you to everyone who has relied.

Debs the information looks GREAT :yes:. Do you know if you can enrol kids at school before you leave England (be great if you can as this would be really helpful to me).

Do you know if you can enrol kids at school before you leave England (be great if you can as this would be really helpful to me).

Not from what I've heard from people who've tried, but you may get lucky. You are usually told to wait until you get here; maybe lots of people change their mind about where they are going to settle?

Jo

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi,

We were able to enrol our son into school before we came to Oz, the school sent us the enrolment forms and we had to send a copy of his birth certificate with it. They said when we arrived we would just have to show his visa and they would take a copy.

As it happened when we got here we changed our mind and sent him to a different school. It was the school holidays but the office was open the week before term started so we phoned on the Monday, met the school Liaison contact on the Tuesday, got his uniform and books on the Thursday and he started the following week on the first day of term along with everyone else.

Some of the schools on the Gold Coast have strict catchment areas, some don't have a catchment area, so if you have a specific school in mind you need to bear this in mind when sorting out a house rental.

Liz

Guest carolynr6280

Thanks Liz that is great - we will prob be arriving in Oz 2 weeks before the school term starts and would like him to start when all the other kids start. Have a couple of areas in mind so will contact the schools in those areas and see if i can get him enrolled.

Archived