Looking for advice

jamiemadden

Hello

I'm looking into moving to Australia after falling in love with it when i visited Perth around 2 years ago.

I've currently got 7 years experience in the Steel Industry, 3 years being in the pipe manufacturing side of things, and the other 4 years within a Steelmaking setting.

I have little qualifications that i feel would be enough to get me over, but do have alot of experience and knowledge.

I have simple things such as Forklift license, slinging certificates, IOSH, Can deliver manual handling courses.

But i have also had 3 years experience on repair welding fixing defects on pipes, a good knowledge into steel making / casting, I worked for 6 months on a safety team, looking into completing my NEBOSH course.

Whats the chances of me getting work over there?

I feel my girlfriend should be fine as she has just finished university doing Early Childhood Studies, and now has a job in a nursery.

Hi @jamiemadden

For the visa process the Department of Immigration (DIBP) look at qualifications and experience separately and it is generally a satisfactory combination of the two that will qualify you for a visa.

Take a look at the Skilled Occupation List and identify an occupation that you fit into, and I may be able to help further, without this it is very difficult to guide you.

I cannot really comment on you; although you do have a good set of skills.

Even a Forklift license means you can get factory work. Yeah ok maybe not the job of your dreams, but you can use it as a stop-gap to have money coming in, whilst you look for something better.

But your girlfriend will have NO problems whatsoever.

The above post by @jumpingjillybean is right that you do have a good skill set and would likely be able to find work in that respect.

The last statement is wrong though, your girlfriend would have no chance as it stands with her current occupation as is not covered by the SOL or CSOL and therefore won't be eligible for any skilled visa. If she was an experienced child care centre manager then yes, she'd likely qualify, but working in a nursery would not.

Hello

I'm looking into moving to Australia after falling in love with it when i visited Perth around 2 years ago.

I've currently got 7 years experience in the Steel Industry, 3 years being in the pipe manufacturing side of things, and the other 4 years within a Steelmaking setting.

I have little qualifications that i feel would be enough to get me over, but do have alot of experience and knowledge.

I have simple things such as Forklift license, slinging certificates, IOSH, Can deliver manual handling courses.

But i have also had 3 years experience on repair welding fixing defects on pipes, a good knowledge into steel making / casting, I worked for 6 months on a safety team, looking into completing my NEBOSH course.

Whats the chances of me getting work over there?

I feel my girlfriend should be fine as she has just finished university doing Early Childhood Studies, and now has a job in a nursery.

It sounds like you are very versatile, which will be great once you are here but is not so great when trying to get a visa! The visa process is all about pin pointing one specific occupation and demonstrating skills and experience in that. Have you had a look at the skilled lists to see if there is one that applies to you more than any other?

Likewise your girlfriend might find work, but it isn't easy to get a visa through childcare. If you are in a defacto relationship, only one of you needs to qualify for a visa though.

The last statement is wrong though, your girlfriend would have no chance as it stands with her current occupation as is not covered by the SOL or CSOL .

Opps sorry. My mind was elsewhere. I was thinking differently. If you were already here on a WHV say for example, then your girlfriend would have no problem getting work, as LOADS of childcare jobs available. Jumping ahead of myself a bit on that one :laugh:

I paid for the services of a migration agent who had previously worked in my industry (IT), which was a great help. If you can find one with a background in construction / fabrication etc, they will be able to give expert advice on your chances, and will know how best to structure your application. Failing that, get yourself along to one of those "moving to Australia" fairs (assuming they're still a regular thing in the UK). You get a good mix of government reps and employers at those events.

Archived