Uk citizenship while applying for spouse visa

rayrachel

Hi

I currently have an indefinite leave to remain visa and have lived in uk for 13 years. Moving back to oz in February next year with my English hubby. We have applied for his spouse visa but I was thinking I should get my citizenship before we leave in case we ever needed to come back for family reasons.

Would this affect our application for Aussie visa as I stated on the form I didn't hold a passport for another country or can I update this info at a later date.

Or would it be easier just to apply for a uk spouse visa if we needed to come back? (Is it is bad as applying for the oz one)

Thanks

Rachel

Definitely get citizenship before you leave. You never know how the spouse visa thing may change in future and it may make it very difficult to get back in should you want to. The current requirements have already made it very difficult for a large number of people. You don't have to get yourself a passport straight away if you don't want to though. You could wait until the spouse visa is through and then get the passport if that works out better for you.

Great thanks for the advice. Our spouse visa won't come through until we are already in oz as only applied last month.

I was just worried they would think you are not committed about a life together in oz.

My own fault really should have got it a few years ago but after paying for ILR visa didn't want to give them anymore money.

Archived