189 Visa - 10 years work experience necessary?

Have a question for someone knowledgeable about the Work Experience part of the 189 visa application form, where they ask for your last 10 years of work experience...

When I filled out my Expression of Interest I only included the 2.5 years in my current role as I thought that experience in the Nominated Profession was all they cared about.

I am now in the process of filling out the visa application proper and it's occurred to me that they might want to see evidence of employment (outside of my nominated profession) from the past 10 years, to ensure that I'm not going to arrive and go straight on the dole.

Does anyone know if they really care about other jobs? I'm reluctant to mention other stuff as I haven't put it on my EOI (and also, it's going to be a pain to get references for some of it).

All thoughts and advice appreciated...

Have a question for someone knowledgeable about the Work Experience part of the 189 visa application form, where they ask for your last 10 years of work experience...

When I filled out my Expression of Interest I only included the 2.5 years in my current role as I thought that experience in the Nominated Profession was all they cared about.

I am now in the process of filling out the visa application proper and it's occurred to me that they might want to see evidence of employment (outside of my nominated profession) from the past 10 years, to ensure that I'm not going to arrive and go straight on the dole.

Does anyone know if they really care about other jobs? I'm reluctant to mention other stuff as I haven't put it on my EOI (and also, it's going to be a pain to get references for some of it).

All thoughts and advice appreciated...

Sorry can't answer the visa question but can say that you cannot claim any sort of unemployment benefit until you have had PR for at least 2 years. :wink:

That's right. You should have put all employment for the past ten years on your EOI. Any related employment to the occupation that you are submitting under would need to be ticked to say it's related and any non related employment would be checked as not related . You run the risk of facing questions as to why you didn't declare this employment in the first instance but I'm fairly confident that when you declare this on your visa application it won't have a detrimental effect, although you might want to check this with a MARA registered agent to be on the safe side.

I would strongly recommend that you complete form 80 as a supplement to your application, if only to be on the safe side. This form is part of the character test and asks your employment history from birth (strange I know) as well as various other questions such as travel for the last ten years, details of all close relatives whether they are migrating or not as well as a multitude of other questions.

That's right. You should have put all employment for the past ten years on your EOI. Any related employment to the occupation that you are submitting under would need to be ticked to say it's related and any non related employment would be checked as not related . You run the risk of facing questions as to why you didn't declare this employment in the first instance but I'm fairly confident that when you declare this on your visa application it won't have a detrimental effect, although you might want to check this with a MARA registered agent to be on the safe side.

I would strongly recommend that you complete form 80 as a supplement to your application, if only to be on the safe side. This form is part of the character test and asks your employment history from birth (strange I know) as well as various other questions such as travel for the last ten years, details of all close relatives whether they are migrating or not as well as a multitude of other questions.

I have just looked at the required documents for a 189 visa as I am hoping to get an invitation in the September round. It says for skilled employment to supply references and payslips etc. If I am not claiming any points for work experience I'm assuming I just need to list my employment for the last 10 years but don't need to supply evidence?

Thanks for any help x

I have just looked at the required documents for a 189 visa as I am hoping to get an invitation in the September round. It says for skilled employment to supply references and payslips etc. If I am not claiming any points for work experience I'm assuming I just need to list my employment for the last 10 years but don't need to supply evidence?

Thanks for any help x

I personally didn't provide references for the non related employment,, of which there was only a very short 6 week period in my case. I wasn't asked for it, so, i'd say just provide evidence for the skilled (related) work.

I didn't supply info on all work I did as I didn't see point n would have taken too long..n I didn't provide references for anything as wasn't claiming points for that..not saying that's right to not include all work history but just what I did n had no problems

Archived