Hi! I'm new

CharmedP3

Hi....thought I would introduce myself.

I'm Rachel (37), DH is Martin (36) and kids are Abigail (6) and Cassie (1).

We have recently made the decision to go ahead and apply to emigrate to Oz...after putting the decision on the back burner 11 years ago .....

We've been lucky enough to have visited Oz 4 times (although not in the last 8 years) and love it. Not entirely decided on where we will go just yet...although Newcastle, NSW is a strong contender due to it's thriving Ironworks industry (which would give Martin who is a welder/fabricator) a better choice of jobs hopefully.

Despite working in the industry nearly 20 years he never took his final exams....so first job is for him to take the exams that recognise him as a 1st Class Welder (internationally recognised). His trade is listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand List - so that's a good start.

We are really excited now we have made the decision to go for it. We've told our respective parents of our plans; who reacted really well (was a bit nervous tbh) and generally can't wait to get the ball rolling.

Think we will look at organising a migration agent as there's so much to organise and we want to maximise our chances. Although that said....we've had what could, potentially be a useful bit of news...which is that the firm DH works for will on Monday morning be under new ownership, by a company with many many sites throughout Australia.....leaves him wondering whether there might be an employer sponsorship opportunity :huh:

Anyway looking forward to getting to know you and am now off to explore the site! :smile:

Guest Bonzer Sheila

Welcome!

No harm in looking at employer sponsorship....that's how we're going and things are moving along quite quickly.

You are very lucky to have the support of your family.

You will find good and bad things said about life in Oz on this site - trust your own instincts and stay positive!

Very best of luck!

Hi I have only been here a few days myself. Me and dh and kids have also just made the decision to go. luckily for us dh is a permenant resident so my visa is fairly straight forward supposedly. Try explaining you had a child in june but didnt move in together till you married in the november lol. We will be going to Newcastle as thats where he grew up and all his family live. We hope to get our applications in November of this year as his visa will run out in NOV 09 so we need to get there before then.

Hi I have only been here a few days myself. Me and dh and kids have also just made the decision to go. luckily for us dh is a permenant resident so my visa is fairly straight forward supposedly. Try explaining you had a child in june but didnt move in together till you married in the november lol. We will be going to Newcastle as thats where he grew up and all his family live. We hope to get our applications in November of this year as his visa will run out in NOV 09 so we need to get there before then.

Ooh can he recommend some areas in the Newcastle region? For some reason we feel drawn to Merewether and the firm Martin will be working for on Monday when the takeover bid goes through have a site in Hamilton...

We want an area where there are plenty of families, not too far to the beach and with good schools and child care facilities....not much eh! lol

Well we have a family and are looking at Kotara Merrewether Hamilton south and new lambton heights and adamstown all family suburbs. Dh says to avoid stockton carrington islington Mayfair. Hope to meet you out there LOL

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi there & welcome to PIO

Just wanted to say thanks for that last post - we are hopefully moving to Newcastle area too and having someone with a real life opinion on the areas is good. It's good to know there's more of us pio looking to live that way out and hopefully we'll get to help each other along!

Ginny,Mark & Ciara

Hi there & welcome to PIO

Just wanted to say thanks for that last post - we are hopefully moving to Newcastle area too and having someone with a real life opinion on the areas is good. It's good to know there's more of us pio looking to live that way out and hopefully we'll get to help each other along!

Ginny,Mark & Ciara

Newcastle looking popular then lol

I must put some info on my profile....like where I am from etc...I see you are not so far away in Wakefield.....we are in Halifax.

Forgot to mention before when I said dh needs to take his exams that he has actually booked a course spring bank week to take them....not cheap at £365 but money well spent we think (hope)

Newcastle looking popular then lol

I must put some info on my profile....like where I am from etc...I see you are not so far away in Wakefield.....we are in Halifax.

Forgot to mention before when I said dh needs to take his exams that he has actually booked a course spring bank week to take them....not cheap at £365 but money well spent we think (hope)

Hehehe I am from up north too Scarborough to be precise.Living in London for work atm. Our big decision was either Australia or yorkshire. can see the headlines now Newcastle over run with English Northerners lol

Hehehe I am from up north too Scarborough to be precise.Living in London for work atm. Our big decision was either Australia or yorkshire. can see the headlines now Newcastle over run with English Northerners lol

Yorkshire V Oz..... hmm I can see how that would be a tough decisions..... lol

Lol. It really was. We dont want to bring the kids up in london. He works all hours god sends we cant afford to buy we rent a flat. My entire family are still based up there so that had a huge pulling power. Hubbys extended family are in essex and immediate family in Australia. In the end as his visa runs out In 09 we decided we would go for Australia as that way we could say we had tried it. Lifes all about adventure and you only live once and all that. Plus more space for our money with our many kids. Maybe even the possibility of another. My mother still isnt talking to me but hey ho I am sure she will come round..

I think thats the big thing. The what ifs. I dont want to have a life full of what ifs. We decided the worst that could happen is I would hate it and we would come home. Ok we may come back and have to start again but such is life.

Archived