swapping red p licence to uk licence

amywestwood8

I just did a quick search through the DVLA to help you with your question. It appears that the Australian licence is transferable to the UK and it also seems that you won't have the RED P restriction on it (as this does not exist in the UK) so I would fully expect that you will receive a full UK licence for the classes of vehicle that you are licenced for on your P licence.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence/y/yes/car-or-motorcycle/a-designated-country-countries-with-exchange-agreements-with-great-britain/australia

That would be great. So its not classed as a provisional ? Its not a full licence though. Anyway thats good news even though my son may struggle with the narrowness of roads! Its give way all round. :elvis:

That would be great. So its not classed as a provisional ? Its not a full licence though. Anyway thats good news even though my son may struggle with the narrowness of roads! Its give way all round. :elvis:

My wife's on p plates and we looked into the change over with dvla and they said you can't. You need a full driving license for either country to be able to transfer. I know it sucks.

• 1 month later...
My wife's on p plates and we looked into the change over with dvla and they said you can't. You need a full driving license for either country to be able to transfer. I know it sucks.

What happens when a Northern Ireland driver with R plates moves to Great Britain? Because that would be a direct equivalent of the red Ps.

Archived