PR visa and child care rebate

excitedbutterrified

Hi All,

Our family of me, the wife, and 2 pre school kids recently arrived in Melbourne on a 457 visa. When we decided to come here, we couldn't afford a PR visa due to maternity leave. My new employer paid for everything involved in moving but would only provide a 457, so that we are tied to them.

Now we have arrived and settled, our finances are a lot healthier so we are considering paying for a PR visa. My company have said they will sponsor the application.

My question is, given it will take several months to get the visa, and our kids will be in daycare for a significant amount of time before it is issued, will we be able to retrospectively claim child care rebate for the period before PR issue? It will all be in the same tax year.

Pete

You can only claim rebates at the time you're becoming a PR. Or do you mean the 'transition period', the time applying for PR and waiting for the grant? For the bridging time I would say maybe yes but others in the same situation like you might know better.

I wouldn't have thought that you could claim until the PR grant, and that as you are only eligible for the rebate from the time you are PR that they wouldn't take into account any time whilst spent on a non-eligible visa. I am fairly sure that that was the case when we transitioned from a 457 to a PR visa, although that was a bit over three years ago so things may have changed. Might be worth giving Centrelink a visit though.