2 irish lads moving to Melbourne in September, what are our options for accommodation?

Hi folks, myself and another lad are heading out in mid September. We have nothing planned yet accommodation wise. What are our options? Is a hostel for a week or 2 the best bet? Or is it easy/advisable to organise accommodation before we arrive? I heard that there are plenty of options for house sharing, and that with a bond/deposit you can get a house within a week or so?

Thanks!

Hi I would recommend a backpackers to start with, usually no need to book but if you can do it before hand even better. Most backpackers also offer reduced rates for staying a week at a time. In the city I stayed at Kings street backpackers, which is really near the train station and I also stayed at coffee palace in St kilda- must have liked that one as I stayed for a month and a half! Both were really good value and great way to meet other backpackers :)

Would also recommend staying in a hostel to begin with, good place to meet people and get your bearings. I stayed at United Backpackers on Flinders St in December last year and it was pretty good, great location :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shaun, like everyone, if you want to know the city first, hostel is a good way to start. There is a Facebook page for people who are looking for housemates or looking for a place. It's called Fairy Floss Real Estate. It's not a real estate company just a facebook page. Most people who are looking for housemates in there seem to be around the CBD and surrounds and aged up to late 20s to early 30s.

Hi folks, myself and another lad are heading out in mid September. We have nothing planned yet accommodation wise. What are our options? Is a hostel for a week or 2 the best bet? Or is it easy/advisable to organise accommodation before we arrive? I heard that there are plenty of options for house sharing, and that with a bond/deposit you can get a house within a week or so?

Thanks!

Archived