What visa do I need??

Emma

Hi there I'm hoping someone can help me! Im totally confused on what type of visa I should apply for I am hoping to emigrate next year (or sooner) and I am a Theraputic Radiographer hoping to live in Victoria but I can't seem to find the correct visa type?! If I apply for a sponsored visa do I already need a job? Or could I get a visa that's not sponsored and then get a job? Moving on my own and it's stressing me out already! Any help would be very gratefully received!! Thanks in advance xx

Have a read about the 189 or 190 visas, these are known as the skilled migrant visas.

Also have a read about the 457, 186 and 187 visas, these are all employer sponsored so would require a job.

And is your occupation on the SOL?

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

I would guess it is but you would need to confirm.

To get a 189 ( independent) you need your job on the Sol, need it assessed, then need to gain 60 points to allow you to submit your EOI.

You get points for passing an English exam -0 points up to 20 point) points for your age points for your work history and points for your qualifications

• 1 month later...

Hi Emma, have you got this sorted? I would recommend applying for jobs before you move over to Australia to get an idea of what sort of response to expect. If you are lucky and you secure an employer-sponsored job you may be able to negotiate with your employer to sponsor you on the 457 VISA (most common), but ideally the 187 if they are willing to offer you that. 457 is temporary and the 187 effectively gives you PR once it has been approved. Most employers are reluctant to offer the 187 because it gives you a lot more flexibility than the 457 but it is the best option.

Let me know if you need more info and Ill be happy to guide you.

Hi Emma, have you got this sorted? I would recommend applying for jobs before you move over to Australia to get an idea of what sort of response to expect. If you are lucky and you secure an employer-sponsored job you may be able to negotiate with your employer to sponsor you on the 457 VISA (most common), but ideally the 187 if they are willing to offer you that. 457 is temporary and the 187 effectively gives you PR once it has been approved. Most employers are reluctant to offer the 187 because it gives you a lot more flexibility than the 457 but it is the best option.

Let me know if you need more info and Ill be happy to guide you.

If you qualify for a 189/190 I would not even consider a 457, that is just a work visa and is temporary, at best it is for 4 years and should your employment cease at any time you have 90 days to find another sponsor of return home.

A 457 is 'working overseas' not 'migrating' - for some it is a stepping stone to a permanent visa but employers can and do change their mind of permanent sponsorship. About the only advantage is the employer will often pay relocation costs and must pay for your flight home (even if it's you that chooses to leave)

Archived