Accountant

Joachim

Hi All

Just wondering are there any other accountants out there finding it hard to secure a role in accountancy? I've been looking for a few weeks and have signed up with recruitment agencies etc to look on my behalf and thought I would've got something by now but unfortunately I haven't.

I'm on seek every day and not sure what else I could be doing? Is anyone in the same situation or does anyone have any advise for me to secure an accountancy role?

Any help is appreciated

I'm an accountant in Brisbane. Bit of an over supply it seems, get a lot of applications for anything on seek.

How much experience do you have and what professional body are you?

Hi

I've got 6 years public practice experience and 2 years industry experience as divisional financial and treasury accountant and 1 year as commercial accountant in the same company (over 200m turnover) and my professional body is ACCA

Yeah I don't know what to suggest apart from maybe target the less desirable roles in smaller firms to get a foot in the door.

I was very inexperienced so was willing to take anything on arrival (Partner visa not 189) so can't really speak for coming with experience but not local.

So are a lot of people.

Yeah you only have to see how many threads from Accountants on forums like this to see there is an influx all the time too

Hi

I've got 6 years public practice experience and 2 years industry experience as divisional financial and treasury accountant and 1 year as commercial accountant in the same company (over 200m turnover) and my professional body is ACCA

I would have thought your background would better sit Sydney or Melbourne to be honest, Brisbane options are far more limited.

I would have thought your background would better sit Sydney or Melbourne to be honest, Brisbane options are far more limited.

That's what I was thinking. I can see why you would try Brisbane though, more affordable therefore if you do get a good role the lifestyle on offer can be better.

That's what I was thinking. I can see why you would try Brisbane though, more affordable therefore if you do get a good role the lifestyle on offer can be better.

Agree, would have been very happy living in Brisbane.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I had around 11 years of experience in large corporates and a CIMA qualification and it took about 3 months to find a job in Melbourne. It took a while about 6 weeks before things started moving on the interview front and then another 6 weeks to get through 3 rounds and then start the job. The recruitment process doesn't really go that quickly here. Keep going, perhaps look at a wider range of jobs and maybe if you get an interview for a less desirable job using it as practise for the interview you really want to ace.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a huge oversupply of Accountants in Melbourne too. If the politicians are being told there's a shortage of accountants it must be by the mining companies who can't find people to work in the middle of nowhere!

There's a huge oversupply of Accountants in Melbourne too. If the politicians are being told there's a shortage of accountants it must be by the mining companies who can't find people to work in the middle of nowhere!

Oh I know. I think the whole country has an oversupply, but just think Brisbane would be even tighter than Sydney or Melbourne. I must definitely would not want to suggest that there is demand in those other two cities though. Hope it did not sound like that.

Mining companies do not need the accountant to be based remotely, so there are no shortages with them either.

Oh I know. I think the whole country has an oversupply, but just think Brisbane would be even tighter than Sydney or Melbourne. I must definitely would not want to suggest that there is demand in those other two cities though. Hope it did not sound like that.

Mining companies do not need the accountant to be based remotely, so there are no shortages with them either.

Thank's Bungo. There are more jobs for accountants in Melbourne and Sydney but unfortunately there are also more accountants. Mining companies do have a need for Site Accountants as I've seen them advertise for them on a FIFO basis - but I've no idea how many responses those adverts get so they may not have a shortage either.

Archived