Looking to emmigrate I'm a gasfitter downstream of meter

Ibaker89

Hi I'm looking to emmigrate with my partner and two daughters im a gas service layer. I am wondering if anyone on here is living in Australia and doing my job. If so would really appreciate a chance to ask some questions and get some advice thank you.

I'm not a gasfitter but I'd suggest the very first thing you do is find out what you'd need to do to get your qualifications recognised in Australia, how much it would cost and how long it would take.

It is crazy that you can be given a visa as a gasfitter, yet you won't be allowed to work as a gasfitter until you're qualified to work in Australia. You will probably have to re-train and take exams, and that may take some months. In the meantime, the best thing you can hope for is to work at apprentice rates. That may be OK, provided you budget to support yourself and your family while you're training as, of course, you won't be entitled to any benefits, but it is something to think about.

The other thing to consider is that gas is not widely used in Australia. In the countryside, there is often no piped gas at all - cookers run on bottled gas.

I'm a sparky and I've just completed the entire assessment process and will be looking to apply for my visa in the coming weeks. Have a look at this thread I posted today

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/235632-trades-skills-assessment.html

I used future skills who have an onshore partner called the downunder Center. Contact them and ask them for some info. They will know what you need to do and will be able to point you in the right direction for all aspects of your migration. Top notch service and will tell you straight what is needed and how to do it

as a spark you have to do an offshore technical skills assessment which involves submitting work evidence and qualifications and then you must sit a practical assessment and an exam which will give you a provisional electrical licence. Then when you get to Australia you have to do gap training. They say as a guide it takes 12 months but could be less, it's like an NVQ. You won't get paid as an apprentice but you won't get a full rate. This is the electrical path I don't know what the gas fitter path is but as its a licenced trade it will probably be similar

Hey , gas fitter is on the skills occupation list (334114). Through TRA you can get information on the route to gain a visa. Don't know the full process but for general plumber gas route there are a lot of courses needed to go on before you can even apply for a visa and your skills will need to be assessed through TRA. You may also have to do gap training of 12 months on a provisional licence while working with someone to convert your qualifications over to the Australian framework.

Archived