IELTS - not met required result

Jikku Abraham

Dear sirs ,

I just got my Ielts result , R - 7 , W - 7 , S 7.5 and L - 6.5 .

Now with this i wont be able to score 10 points .

now i have decided to appear again for IELTS , . please help me with this

1 . Can we club the results of 2 IELTS test ?

2. any difference in taking IDP and British council ?

Thanks

Dear sirs ,

Thanks

Sorry to hear that you didn't make the grade this time. You cannot club the results together, all sections of the examination must be taken together.

You could try to do the Pearson test instead, some people have indicated that this test is a much fairer testing method and have yielded better results.

Sorry to hear that you didn't make the grade this time. You cannot club the results together, all sections of the examination must be taken together.

You could try to do the Pearson test instead, some people have indicated that this test is a much fairer testing method and have yielded better results.

Dear CaptainC ,

Thanks for the reply . Yes im planning to appear for Pearson test .

Many people are not able to score 7 each for Ielts test in India . I know many people who are really good in all four sections , losing by 0.5 in any one of the module . Really dont know what is going on in IELTS tests .

When i used to practice at home , i was scoring 8.5 in the listening tests , but when i got the test result it was 6.5 . really disappointed

Dear sirs ,

Thanks

Sorry to hear you didn't hit the grade you needed. I totally sympathise as I sat the IELTS exam twice and missed out by 0.5 each time. I then decided to revise for the Pearson PTE Academic exam, and it was so much fairer in my opinion. I passed the PTE first time with nearly full marks 90, 90, 90, 88.

You may find this thread of interest; http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.html

... and also this one; http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/233591-pearson-pte-test-taken-yesterday-feedback-2.html

Good luck with whichever route you decide to take for your english exam.

Sorry to hear you didn't hit the grade you needed. I totally sympathise as I sat the IELTS exam twice and missed out by 0.5 each time. I then decided to revise for the Pearson PTE Academic exam, and it was so much fairer in my opinion. I passed the PTE first time with nearly full marks 90, 90, 90, 88.

You may find this thread of interest; http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.html

... and also this one; http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/233591-pearson-pte-test-taken-yesterday-feedback-2.html

Good luck with whichever route you decide to take for your english exam.

Hi All

That's good feedback re Pearson PTE Academic. Can I ask a question - I understand that Pearson don't post out any results. How do you provide the necessary evidence to support your EOI / VISA application ??

thanks

Hi All

That's good feedback re Pearson PTE Academic. Can I ask a question - I understand that Pearson don't post out any results. How do you provide the necessary evidence to support your EOI / VISA application ??

thanks

Hi Pommie, yes you're right, Pearson email candidates to inform them that the results are ready (usually the day after the exam). Candidates can then log into the Pearson candidate portal to get the results and also download a PDF certificate. The results certificate will include an official Test Reference Number. It is this number which you supply in the online EOI form when filing the EOI. IMMI/Border then are able to see the same results electronically using that reference as Pearson will have already sent the results to them - when you book the Pearson PTE exam it asks who the results should be sent too. I.e. A school or college, or in our case IMMI.

I can't pass comment how the same is supplied for the purpose of the actual Visa application when invited, as I've not got that far yet, although eagerly waiting and hoping for an invite in the next round in August.

Hi RMT... I sat the Pearson test yesterday and have picked up any extra 10 points (woo hoooo)... anyway - I've updated my EOI this morning (70 points, cha-ching...!!) When I did, I provided the Registration ID (which appears to be the centre reference) rather than my Test Taker ID.... It was somewhat confusing, but when I clicked on the little '?' it said provide the Registration number....

I don't think this matters either way at this stage as its an automated process and will simply offer an invite based upon 70 points.. - but if you know from others that I need to provide the test takers ID and not the Registration ID, please let me know....

Pommie, congrats! I can only hope I'll achieve a score near yours. I too need the extra 10 points in the "Superior" English. I've been studying on and off now for about a week, but I don't plan on taking my exam until at least November... So plenty of time!

The problem I seem to be facing right now is I am over complicating my answers when summarising paragraphs. For example, the answer should have been "Due to Bill and Bob, the endangered turtles have a better chance of survival" whereas I go into far more detail. Any advice?

Native English speaker and what not etc etc...

Pommie, congrats! I can only hope I'll achieve a score near yours. I too need the extra 10 points in the "Superior" English. I've been studying on and off now for about a week, but I don't plan on taking my exam until at least November... So plenty of time!

The problem I seem to be facing right now is I am over complicating my answers when summarising paragraphs. For example, the answer should have been "Due to Bill and Bob, the endangered turtles have a better chance of survival" whereas I go into far more detail. Any advice?

Native English speaker and what not etc etc...

PomCop - I know exactly what you mean. A few tips for what they are worth....

1. Sign up to the practice papers and practice tests... It sounds like you have done this, but they do help polish you and more importantly get you used to the test environment, the types of questions asked, the running order, etc.

2. Focus on the current question - not the difficult one you have just finished. Accept that on the day, you will make a few mistakes, and its easy to leave one section and be overthinking about the difficulties on the last question rather than focusing on the current question. Forget the last one - all that matters is this one.

3. Check / double check all answers... It really makes a difference to spelling and grammar marks.. you have time to do this, which is what I like about the Pearson test.

4.You are right about sometimes overcomplicating the answer. The good thing is that so long as you allow time to check, re-read, etc your answers, you don't lose marks for over complicating... UNLESS

5. You make spelling mistakes trying to over complicate - to gain more marks. If you are unsure about whether you have spelt something wrong, then try and find another word/way of saying the same thing that you are confident you have spelt right.

My logic is that so long you have decent English and a reasonably broad vocabulary , you effectively start with 100% and lose marks for mistakes, rather than start with zero and have to earn marks...

Good luck....

PomCop - I know exactly what you mean. A few tips for what they are worth....

1. Sign up to the practice papers and practice tests... It sounds like you have done this, but they do help polish you and more importantly get you used to the test environment, the types of questions asked, the running order, etc.

2. Focus on the current question - not the difficult one you have just finished. Accept that on the day, you will make a few mistakes, and its easy to leave one section and be overthinking about the difficulties on the last question rather than focusing on the current question. Forget the last one - all that matters is this one.

3. Check / double check all answers... It really makes a difference to spelling and grammar marks.. you have time to do this, which is what I like about the Pearson test.

4.You are right about sometimes overcomplicating the answer. The good thing is that so long as you allow time to check, re-read, etc your answers, you don't lose marks for over complicating... UNLESS

5. You make spelling mistakes trying to over complicate - to gain more marks. If you are unsure about whether you have spelt something wrong, then try and find another word/way of saying the same thing that you are confident you have spelt right.

My logic is that so long you have decent English and a reasonably broad vocabulary , you effectively start with 100% and lose marks for mistakes, rather than start with zero and have to earn marks...

Good luck....

That's good to know!

I have subscribed to the PTE Academic online thing which seems to be OK but could do with more explanation rather than just practice questions, if you know what I mean?

I am thinking about the PTE A revision book which I can get off of Amazon. Hopefully that will have more tips!

Archived