Citizenship application questions

Petkula73

Hi - wonder if anyone knows the answer to this one...

I'm eligible to apply for citizenship on 3 August (4 years after first arrival). My wife and daughter joined me around two weeks later back in 2011, on something around 19 August. We've been here first on a 457 in my name, then through PR through sponsored 186 since Nov 2013.

My question is this: Is the eligibility for the application based on the date of my entry for the family, or is it based on the actual dates of arrival (i.e. my wife won't be eligible until 19 August regardless of my eligibility)?

I don't suppose it matters much in the general scheme of things if we wait until the 19th as I suspect our citizenship ceremony date will be on Australia Day regardless.

Citizenship ceremonies don't only occur on Australia Day. Each council do their own. I live in a regional area and they have citizenship ceremonies every 2 months. It only took me 7 weeks from applying for citizenship to attending my ceremony.

Every council is different how often they hold a citizenship ceremony per year.

I would rather say it's unpredictable when you are invited depending on the waiting list. You could also end up with a date after Australia Day as not every council will organize one that day due to the costs.

Citizenship ceremonies can vary from 1 per month (best scenario) to 1 per year (worst case scenario). In Adelaide DIBP sometimes holds extra ceremonies due to the fact of overwhelmed unprofessional councils, clogged up and not able to clear the waiting lists.

The council I'm moving in very soon hosts only 1 officially announced mass-ceremony per year in September on 'citizenship day' every 17th of September I found out recently on their website. Whereas the council I'm still living in hosts 3 ceremonies per year. Anyway, sh.....t happens!

The council is Bayside in Melbourne. Nothing on their website on how often they do these, however Brighton, Hampton and Sandringham are jam packed with British people so we're expecting the demand is high and waiting list will be long... No huge issues for us to wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived