For the first time in my life I created a budget as a New Financial Year's Resolution.

MARYROSE02

I've actually got three going, all from Googling 'budget', one for daily spend, one for monthly, and one for yearly. I guess I could have combined them into one?

I basically figured out that I have an income of about $2,500 per month (which could change as the FX rate for GBP to AUD fluctuates - I have more income from UK than OZ) and I need to save about $1,100 a month to allow for my existing bills over the year, plus another $200 a month to save into my cash management account. I had to do some 'guestimates' because I don't know how much I will spend at the dentist, for instance.

I keep meaning to look seriously at Health Insurance. So far, I've just paid cash for anything I want to have done immediately - my hernia was done within four weeks of seeing my GP. I still feel guilty about people on the public hospital waiting list. The surgeon said 'when would you like to have it done?' 'ASAP' I said. He looked at his diary. 'How about two weeks from now?' Of course it cost me $9,000, but it's my money. I think I will get some kind of relief for this year's tax return for those bills though?

How much should I allow for Health Insurance - single bloke, 60 plus?

At the moment I can spend $36 per day, Yesterday, I spent $36.10 and my phone bill for the month has increased by $10 for extra internet space.

I'm pretty sure they are phasing out the medical expenses tax offset so you can only claim if you also claimed in the last 2 tax years or it is for disability care. I'm going to get stung with this as well as I have 2 lots of braces to pay for this year!

In terms of health insurance any of the sites should give you a quote but bear in mind you will probably be due lifetime health loading. Basically you have a year from your 30th birthday (or when you became a permanent resident) to get cover then they add 2% a year to the premiums up to an additional 70%. I think after you have been paying it for a while they will take it off again but dont know how long that is - ten years sticks in my mind for some reason.

I'm pretty sure they are phasing out the medical expenses tax offset so you can only claim if you also claimed in the last 2 tax years or it is for disability care. I'm going to get stung with this as well as I have 2 lots of braces to pay for this year!

In terms of health insurance any of the sites should give you a quote but bear in mind you will probably be due lifetime health loading. Basically you have a year from your 30th birthday (or when you became a permanent resident) to get cover then they add 2% a year to the premiums up to an additional 70%. I think after you have been paying it for a while they will take it off again but dont know how long that is - ten years sticks in my mind for some reason.

Thanks for those two bits of advice. I'll ask my accountant about the medical expenses offset. I have already claimed it in previous years, and I've been storing all my bills up for this financial year.

I've been confused about Health Insurance for a couple of reasons. Presently, I use bulk bill services where I can - eg with an ultrasound I had done on Tuesday - and pay cash when I have to, eg for the dentists. Why do I actually need the insurance? What if I choose to save money into a separate account to spend on any things I need. I realize that for a really expensive operation, I may not have enough saved up.

I'll have to do some research.

this is something i need to do, i'm absolutely terrible with money! would be pretty easy to budget since i'm on a fixed salary now.

I can't find the bloody files now! I saved them all, but they are gone! I wrote down every bill.

Archived