Nurses

Miacattv

Hi miacattv

Me and my girlfriend are just going through the final stages of our visa now and Carrie is a Paed nurse. We are also moving to adelaide in October. She had the same problem as you in that her line manager wasn't on the Christmas card list to say the least and had to go through her for her reference. She has had a rough time since, being put on 7 weekends in a row etc but no matter how hard it seems just keep thinking of the main goal. It's all that's kept us going!

if you need any advice then drop us a message we've done everything without an agent!

cheers Joe and Carrie

If your girlfriend really believes that to be the case for the weekends she should consider a grievance

Just spoken to go Matilda and she has said that I cannot get a visa as I only have a diploma in nursing and you now need a degree. I am so upset she is the only one who has said this. So it's bye bye dream Xxxx

Oh no! I'm sorry I totally forgot about that, I did a diploma but they have only just changed the rules. Is it an option for you to top up? As you cannot register with AHPRA and practice in Australia without a degree anyway, if you wanted to continue being a nurse x

I am going to look into it but as I am 40 it will be touch and go by the time I get accepted and then start the process. I will look into it and hopefully get something sorted. Thanks for all your help anywayXxxx

Hi all

sorry to bother you but I am hoping to apply for a skills assessment in order to move to Adelaide and it states that I need professional references. I work for the NHS and I really do not want my boss to know of my plans until I know I can definatly go. Do the accept nmc documents or does it have to be from your employer.

I would ne really grateful for any help you can give me on this matter.

Xxxx

I can understand your reluctance, but as a Clinician (legally allowed to operate in an Operating Theatre), and now a fairly senior manager all I can say is that I have told all the staff that I line manage that I do not want them to leave, ever, but, I will never stand in the way of their professional development. They know that I would give them all excellent references for two immediate reasons, firstly, if they were under performing in any way as their Line Manager I would have sorted it out, so any unresolved underperformance issues reflect badly on me, not them. Secondly, any Line Manager worth their salt will know that they must give an honest reference. It's a disciplinary matter to not give an accurate reference, and the NHS are really anal about stuff like that. I think the devil in me would say send him / her an email, say in it something like "I know we are not friends, but I hope you will be professional about this," and then print off your email, and the reply and send it to any recipients if you are bothered.

Feel free to PM me, but, if you did please confirm it is strictly confidential.

Good Luck.

Archived