Moving to uk

xelawp

Hi all, I'm new to the site so please bear with me. I moved to oz 6 years ago with my husband and my son from a previous relationship. We are now Australian citizens. Since being here, my husband and I have had two children together. However we are now embarking on a divorce and I wish to return home to the UK. I have no idea where to even begin?? I'm planning on taking the children with me and as yet he hasn't disagreed. In fact, I think he s planning on moving back to. My questions are this, has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm worried in cases he changes his mind about the children and we end up going to court. Also, where did everyone begin to get the wheels in motion? How did you go about getting a job? I don't have many savings so have no idea how I'm going to afford to try and buy a house now in the UK! ?

Hello, it seems like no one has been in the same situation as you, hopefully your Husband will be OK with you taking the kids home, maybe you should have a talk to him, if he is then no problems on that front, as for work, there seems to be plenty about at least in S.E England and you could always rent a house when you get back.

Certainly not in your situation and I'm sorry you find yourself in that situation, it must be terrible. As far as your return to the UK do you have family here that can help with the move ? The work situation across the country seems very healthy at the moment. Renting a house depends very much on where you end up. It will certainly be much easier all round if your husband also came back or at least put up no resistance to you taking your kids. Try and keep this gs as amicable as possible is my advice. Hope it all goes well.

Hi all, I'm new to the site so please bear with me. I moved to oz 6 years ago with my husband and my son from a previous relationship. We are now Australian citizens. Since being here, my husband and I have had two children together. However we are now embarking on a divorce and I wish to return home to the UK. I have no idea where to even begin?? I'm planning on taking the children with me and as yet he hasn't disagreed. In fact, I think he s planning on moving back to. My questions are this, has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm worried in cases he changes his mind about the children and we end up going to court. Also, where did everyone begin to get the wheels in motion? How did you go about getting a job? I don't have many savings so have no idea how I'm going to afford to try and buy a house now in the UK! 

Please be careful how you handle your soon to be ex keep things as calm and amicable as you can. If he changes his mind about you taking the children you'll be in for a long and expensive fight through the courts to be allowed to take your children back to the UK. Sadly not many our allowed to return if the other parent objects. Many parents usually the mother end up stuck not being able to leave. Good luck.

I am in the same position as you. It was like reading my situation. Have been in oz 6 years have a child to previous relationship and 2 with my husband. We got citizenship at the beginning of the year and I am due to move back to the uk in a week and a half with all three kids. Also the same as you he agreed to me taking the kids and I think he plans to return to the uk also at some point.

Before I made plans and booked flights I made him sign to say he will allow me to leave oz and move back to the uk with the kids.

Rachael

Are you moving back to a particular part of the UK? The north/south divide still very much exists so moving back to the south probably would make it very hard to buy a house but there are plenty of other areas where the economy is booming and the cost of living is much cheaper.

Hi Rachel, what exactly did you get him to sign? Was it through a court? Also, I don't quite understand the whole citizenship thing....my children obviously have dual nationality due to my husband/ex husband both being british but does that mean I can just walk in the country with them on Aussie passports and they can stay or do I have to get them British passports or visas ???

Hi Lady Rainicorn, I'm originally from Solihull in the West Midlands which is where most of my family are based. I'd like to move as near to them as possible but I'm aware of the extortionate house prices there. So, I guess I'll be just looking around and about and see how I close I can get to there!

Hi Rachel, what exactly did you get him to sign? Was it through a court? Also, I don't quite understand the whole citizenship thing....my children obviously have dual nationality due to my husband/ex husband both being british but does that mean I can just walk in the country with them on Aussie passports and they can stay or do I have to get them British passports or visas ???

You should probably get them British passports will save the questions when landing in the UK. Also would be a good idea to get something in writing from the father of the children saying he's given you permission to take the children. Good luck.

Hi Lady Rainicorn, I'm originally from Solihull in the West Midlands which is where most of my family are based. I'd like to move as near to them as possible but I'm aware of the extortionate house prices there. So, I guess I'll be just looking around and about and see how I close I can get to there!

Solihull is one of the most des-res places in the UK for amenities. So if you have visions of living by Tudor Grange swimming pool...

Most other parts of Birmingham are not. There are lots of sub £100,000 properties available in lots of parts of Birmingham or Solihull council areas.

Best of luck !

You should not have a problem with rent or house prices in Solihull. It's generally counted as a cheap area (though there are cheaper places) but certainly wouldn't be counted as expensive.

Good luck ensure you get the appropriate permission from their father due to The Hague convention (i think it's called). If he disagrees it's very tricky to leave with them. Also I would second obtaining their British passports if possible to avoid any issues when arriving back in the UK.

good luck I hope everything works out for the best or as close as that.

Hi,

I just got him to sign a letter stating that he allows me to reside in the uk indefinetly with the kids. if you google it there is lots of sample letters online that you can just add your own details to and get him to sign. both me, husband and eldest two children where born in the uk and all have brittish passports. so me and eldest two got citizenship in January. my youngest was born here in oz so currently has only a Australian passport. he is a dual citizen as both parents are brittish. I haven't got his uk passport as it takes to long. I am just going to travel with his oz passport as we fly next Wednesday. I am planning on sorting his uk passport out when I get back. haven't had an issue yet. I have already enrolled him in school ready for September and they where happy with just a copy of his Australian passport.

Archived