Whirlwind escape from Perth back to the UK....advice needed please!

SunshineBee

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this group for a while, reading your stories about heading back to the UK with interest. We arrived in April 2014 and had a honeymoon 6 months, but since then I've grown more and more desperate to return to the UK (for varying reasons) and your stories have definitely given me some comfort that I'm not alone, so thanks for sharing them.

It's just myself, husband and dog, so we are fortunate we don't have to factor in children's education or anything like that. We had been talking about sticking it out for 2 years and making the move back next year, or even trying Sydney then heading back after that. But I have become more and more depressed here and with a holiday back on the 29th July booked for 2 weeks, I have just managed this weekend to convince my husband to make the holiday a permanent move!

So we go in 4 weeks, which is going to be a crazy stress filled whirlwind I know! We have confirmation from Jetpets that the dog's rabies vaccination is still valid and good to go at short notice and I have shipping companies coming in this week to quote and we are going to have to break lease on the house etc. But the thing causing me most stress at the moment (unbelievably) is the car!

I bought a car on a 5 year finance deal when we arrived, thinking it was a good thing to do to start building up our credit rating. I obviously still owe a large chunk of money to the finance company and they have given me permission to sell it to pay back the loan. I was just wondering has anyone else been in this situation and what is my best course of action? If I sell privately, where is the best place to advertise? It was so easy in the UK with autotrader - but do they have an equivalent here? Also, in the UK you can agree to just hand the car back to the finance company, could that be an option here? If I took it to a dealer, do they pay me direct or the finance company? and would they take it knowing I still owe money on it? Lots of questions!

Any advice on your experiences would be much appreciated! :wacko:

Thanks

Tough one. We sold our car before coming back to the UK. I can tell you what not to bother with - carsales.com.au! It sounds impressive and if you use their calculator, it will tell you that your car is worth a good amount - but all you'll get are people trying to get a ridiculous bargain.

That was my experience anyway, and my niece had the same problem. She also knows a few people who have taken MONTHS to sell through that site.

We got an offer of $6,000 for our car from a dealer and thought it wasn't enough. In the end we sold to a private buyer for $7,000 but it took longer and it really wasn't worth the stress and panic.

Thanks....I think the best option will be to a get a dealer to take it and hope that we don't have a huge shortfall owing to the finance company! Lesson learned anyway - I shall be buying an old banger outright when I get back to the UK!

Thanks....I think the best option will be to a get a dealer to take it and hope that we don't have a huge shortfall owing to the finance company! Lesson learned anyway - I shall be buying an old banger outright when I get back to the UK!

Ring the finance company, yes you can hand it back but you'll probably have to pay them something for the privilege. It may still be better than selling it to a dealer - if it was a new car, then you're going to have a massive shortfall because cars depreciate a lot the minute they leave the showroom.

Hi SunshineBee - welcome to the forum.

We moved back to the UK 4 weeks ago and had 2 cars to sell. We took them back to the dealer that we had bought them from and had no issues. We felt it was a good deal and much easier than private selling. I don't recall them asking if we owed money on them but they just put the money straight into our account, it was all done and dusted within a couple of days. We didn't have finance on ours but I would suggest you asking the company if they will take it back as this could be an easier option too.

good luck xx

Archived