Hi folks , new to this forum, going to Australia next year, anyone else ? :)

Hey Suzanne, we live in a beautiful place called Port Macquarie. It is in NSW and about 4-5 hour drive north of Sydney. It is considered to be a rural place but by the ocean. Great beaches, good schools and a very friendly place. We have lived in Sydney a place called Maroubra, great place but too expensive to buy a nice family home. We then lived on the central coast, where housing was more affordable, good schools only an hour away from Sydney. However, Port Macquarie was where we use to go on holidays and we fell in love with it. Houses a lot cheaper than Sydney and Central Coast, but can be harder to get jobs. If you work in health, education or the tourist industry getting a job won't be a problem. We are a family of 5 living off one income, (I am a midwife) cost of living is manageable, however don't seem to be saving lots after mortgage, private school fees for 3 kids etc, however, if we lived in the UK there would be no way we could afford to live off one salary. I work 12 hour shifts but only work 3 days a week, so do get to have quality time with the kids.

Just realised I have kind of hijacked the thread, but just thought I'd let you know it is possible not all of Australia is so exspensive.