How to book with vicroads before you go!

loula5

Hi...have post this on Life in Victoria forum also -

I've just booked the licence conversion appointments for myself and my husband from the UK, for the day after we arrive in Melbourne.

The number is + 61 3 8391 3216 from overseas (8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 2.00pm Saturday). (Aus hours obviously! )

The rep was really helpful, and the entire call only took 12 minutes!

Hopefully this helps someone (sorry if it's been posted before)

Emma

• 4 weeks later...
It gets posted out. You get a paper version on the day with all the relevant details on it.

Hi

we won't need a rental in Melbourne but will need to buy a new car within 2 weeks. Can you buy a new car with only a UK license or do you have to have a Vic roads license?

You can buy a car with any licence.

Assuming you buy from a 2nd-hand dealer, they will put your licence details on a document which you take to vicroads. They will do whatever they need to do to link your UK licence details to a newly created Vic driver number.

When you eventually get round to getting a Vic licence, that will be your Bic driver licence number.

Edit - if it's a brand new car, then the dealer will do all of the paperwork for you and they will deal with Vicroads. The dealer might need convincing that UK licence is good though. Some of them might not see them very often and they might try to convince you to get a Vic Licence.

Archived