Avoiding emergency tax?

localboy

Hello all,

Thanks again for all the posts so far- an invaluable source during this move. I've had a verbal offer of employment with 457 sponsorship which I am expected to sign off on early next week. I haven't been here long (recently arrived on a 417) so am trying to get everything in place to ensure it all goes as smoothly as possible.

I've got my TFN and set up a bank account, but my query is- is there a risk of paying emergency/high rate tax? I know from my UK experience that overseas colleagues who have travelled and worked temporarily have been subject to the emergency tax.

Is this something I should be concerned about/can avoid in Australia?

Thanks in advance,

localboy

Hello all,

Thanks again for all the posts so far- an invaluable source during this move. I've had a verbal offer of employment with 457 sponsorship which I am expected to sign off on early next week. I haven't been here long (recently arrived on a 417) so am trying to get everything in place to ensure it all goes as smoothly as possible.

I've got my TFN and set up a bank account, but my query is- is there a risk of paying emergency/high rate tax? I know from my UK experience that overseas colleagues who have travelled and worked temporarily have been subject to the emergency tax.

Is this something I should be concerned about/can avoid in Australia?

Thanks in advance,

localboy

if you've already got a TFN just give that to your new employer.

Archived