Son emigrates tomorrow

Rita Sunman

My son emigrated to Melbourne six plus years ago aged 22 with a one way ticket and a week booked in a hostel. I was heartbroken but supported him and didn't show my pain. He loves Melbourne, now has citizenship and it was the right thing for him. We visit when we can and are so glad he is making the most of his life. Thank goodness for Skype,

Just wanted to give you a ((hug)) - no doubt you are feeling somewhat bereft at the moment but the gap their leaving makes in your life will heal over and you do get used to it. I've one son on either side of the world and it does get easier - you drift into a kind of "out of sight is out of mind" kind of mentality I think. We're not a great Skype/FB kind of family - it's handy of course but I think it sort of prolongs the agony and just underlines what you're missing out on (both if you are the leaver or the left IMHO!). I guess as parents we should be patting ourselves on the back for a job well done in raising independent adventurers! Hang in, it will get easier!

My son emigrated to Melbourne six plus years ago aged 22 with a one way ticket and a week booked in a hostel. I was heartbroken but supported him and didn't show my pain. He loves Melbourne, now has citizenship and it was the right thing for him. We visit when we can and are so glad he is making the most of his life. Thank goodness for Skype,

Thank you for your reply, he eventually wants to settle in Melbourne too.As long as he's happy is the main thing, it's just an adjustment time for us,it will take a while.

Just wanted to give you a ((hug)) - no doubt you are feeling somewhat bereft at the moment but the gap their leaving makes in your life will heal over and you do get used to it. I've one son on either side of the world and it does get easier - you drift into a kind of "out of sight is out of mind" kind of mentality I think. We're not a great Skype/FB kind of family - it's handy of course but I think it sort of prolongs the agony and just underlines what you're missing out on (both if you are the leaver or the left IMHO!). I guess as parents we should be patting ourselves on the back for a job well done in raising independent adventurers! Hang in, it will get easier!

Thank you for the hug:-) it is a grieving process you just have to go through it, not a quick fix.im sure in time we will get used to it.we had better start saving for trips to Oz.

Archived