Moving to Sydney with a young family

Gillybelle

Hello My husband and I, along with our three year old daughter are moving to Sydney. This has all happened very quickly as it is with my husbands work so Im trying to gather as much information as possible before we move.

Really Im just looking for some insight into where would be the best place to rent that is near Sydney, not a long commute ( my husbands work will be in he city) but is good for a family life aswell, that is safe,near to a beach, has a great schools & recaretion areas. We will only be there 2 years so will be renting but wnat to love in nice area.Any info would be much appreciated

Thank you

Hello My husband and I, along with our three year old daughter are moving to Sydney. This has all happened very quickly as it is with my husbands work so Im trying to gather as much information as possible before we move.

Really Im just looking for some insight into where would be the best place to rent that is near Sydney, not a long commute ( my husbands work will be in he city) but is good for a family life aswell, that is safe,near to a beach, has a great schools & recaretion areas. We will only be there 2 years so will be renting but wnat to love in nice area.Any info would be much appreciated

Thank you

The important thing in Sydney is budget. Do you know what yours is? Places near the city and beach are at a premium so need to know where you are aiming for, rentals are quoted in $ per week in Australia.

The important thing in Sydney is budget. Do you know what yours is? Places near the city and beach are at a premium so need to know where you are aiming for, rentals are quoted in $ per week in Australia.

Hello

Our max budget would be $1000 aud per week but ideally would be aiming for less.Close to the city and close the beach that is somewhat family friedly, very safe and nice ( is that even posisble) . We will only be there for 2 years so dont really want a long commute as will be working long stressful hours in the city.

Thank you

Hi Gillybelle

I think we will need more info to help you. Where in city is hubby working; does he want to travel by public transport or car? There a heaps of buses to city but if he works odd hours then buses may not be good I imagine. Parking in the city is the pits.

Maryrose02 is pretty knowledgeable on areas - but I have a feeling if you want a good beach area, then there aren't many train stations.

BEGal

Hi Gillybelle

I think we will need more info to help you. Where in city is hubby working; does he want to travel by public transport or car? There a heaps of buses to city but if he works odd hours then buses may not be good I imagine. Parking in the city is the pits.

Maryrose02 is pretty knowledgeable on areas - but I have a feeling if you want a good beach area, then there aren't many train stations.

BEGal

Hello

He will be working 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday. Ideally a commute no more than 45 mins max if possible.With a ywo year old a beach near by in a safe area would be ideal and max budget would be $1000 per week.

If you live North Shore or Northern Beaches, then its an hour or more commute either by public transport or ferry. Areas are varied but Avalon, (which is Northern Beaches), or Manly. Upmarket and maybe a tad expensive - you have to think trade off for beach areas.

Bondi, Bronte, Coogee, Clovelly, DeeWhy - just some names for you to research. I'm sure others will give more info.

Hello

Our max budget would be $1000 aud per week but ideally would be aiming for less.Close to the city and close the beach that is somewhat family friedly, very safe and nice ( is that even posisble) . We will only be there for 2 years so dont really want a long commute as will be working long stressful hours in the city.

Thank you

Most places are "family friendly" and most places are safe in the grand scheme of things. Take these as a bit of a given, as it isn't going to help you pinpoint an area. There are good schools and amenities all over the place as well.

Need to tease a bit more practical information out of you though, like what type of property are you after, an apartment or a house and how many bedrooms do you need?

Your budget is good, however you also have high spec requirements. Near beach and near city is the double whammy when it comes to rental cost and if you are after a house, I don't think this budget is going to cut it. You should manage a decent apartment in one of the Eastern Suburbs beachy areas, maybe a teeny tiny house.

We rented a modern and pretty large three bedroom house in a beach suburb and it cost $1,300 per week but was not near the city. It was about 45 minutes in very light traffic to about an hour or just over in rush hour traffic. This was on northern beaches, you have to travel by bus to the city which a lot of people will say is terrible but we did it for five years and found it really quite pleasant. With those kind of working hours, your husband would be avoiding the worst of rush hour and the commute might be kept to 45 minutes.

Overall though, if you want a house this is, I feel like maybe you should ditch the beach suburb requirement and try North Shore like Turramurra, Pymble, Gordon. You could get a nice property up there, they are considered good suburbs and your Hubble could commute by train in well under 45 minutes. He won't have time to get to the beach during the week anyway and you can drive there if you are going by yourself.

I'd agree that it depends on your accommodation requirements. Depends what kind of place you can imagine yourselves in.

You can pick up an 2 bedroom apartment/unit in those more expensive/desirable areas by a beach if that's enough space for you. I have a mate who has two young sons (5 and 2), who lives in one of these up in Rose bay (Eastern Suburbs). He likes it because he loves to surf in Bondi, is a bit of a hipster and says he spends 8 months a year outdoors, hangs in the parks and has a great life. You could prob get a unit in many a nice place nearer a beach, water or around the harbour for that money. There are lots of nice looking places down those eastern suburbs. The ones mentioned about (the more famous suburbs), or other less well known ones such as Maroubra and Little Bay. Most of these involve a bus commute. Unless you are further north, in which case you could cycle to work.

We are heading out there, but our 3 kids are older (12, 9, & 6) and we have a dog, so a unit/apartment wouldn't work for us. If, like us you think you'd need more space, or a house, with a garden or somethin and good schools you need to look further.

We looked for ages and came to the conclusion that if you want a commute that's pretty quick and reliable, you need to be on one of the train lines. There are some from the west (but that generally puts you away from beaches), and One down through the North shore (as mentioned above - Turramurra, Pymble, Gordon though Chatswood and into the CBD). If you live near one of these, you can go to the any of the northern beaches in under half an hour (or even in 20 minutes).

There's another train line that goes from Cronulla in the south, through Sutherland Shire, and over the George River. This one is quite advantageous as your husband could catch a train to the CBD, and you could catch a train the other direction to Cronulla. If you look on Google maps, you can see these train lines and see all the suburbs they go through.

So, no answers for you as such, but some ideas to look at so you can do your own research.

What you really like is down to personal preference. At least if you don't have to worry about things like schools it's not too complicated.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived