IELTS Functional English

pih5ped

Hello

Recently our parents were asked to give their IELTS score. We were suppose to be exempt because of my father's job, but they couldn't determine if they satisfied because we're from an Asian nation (I think that is why)

For the functional score, is it 4.5 for each band the minimum?

Hi there,

I've done the IETLS test in the UK recently but I've not come across the term ''functional English" before... I'm guessing it might be the relevent to the country in which you are taking the test?

Here is the breakdown from what I'm aware of from the UK if that helps:-

Here is the breakdown:-

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Language Ability[/TD]

[TD=width: 106][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 308]Superior English – person has a score of 8 or

more in the English Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the four test components.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 308]Proficient English – person has a score of 7 or more in the English Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the four test components.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 308]Competent English – person has a score of 6 or more in the English Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the four test components.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Here is a link to the IELTS website where you can select the country that is relevant for more info http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/what_is_ielts/test_format.aspx

Warm wishes,

Caz

• You are the holder of a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.
  • An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result of an average band score of at least 4.5 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, listening and writing. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
  • A Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) test result of a total band score of at least 32 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
  • A Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test result of an overall band score of at least 30 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
  • A Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test result of an overall band score of at least 147 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening and the test must have been taken on or after 1 January 2015. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
  • A positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English.
  • Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • The functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.

Hello

Recently our parents were asked to give their IELTS score. We were suppose to be exempt because of my father's job, but they couldn't determine if they satisfied because we're from an Asian nation (I think that is why)

For the functional score, is it 4.5 for each band the minimum?

Even if the primary applicant is exempt from meeting the normal English language requirement, they still need to pass Functional English or pay additional fees. Secondary applicants over the age of 18 also need to show functional English.

It has nothing to do with being from an Asian Country, the rules are the same for everyone who is not from an English speaking country.

The IELTS score for Functional English is overall 4.5 in a test which is no less than 1 year old.

Archived