UK spouse visa questions

RMac

Hello,

we are moving to Scotland (husband and kids are UK citizens) I was reading on the government site that a normal application costs around £600 but that you can go in person and spend around £1000 pounds and the application is done on the spot. Does anyone have experience with this at all? Is it worthwhile hiring a migration agent at all? Also can I move to the UK as a tourist initially and then apply for the spouse visa? The only reason I ask is that I really want the kids to start school in September. Many thanks

You can only apply for spouse visa from outside the UK. So you could travel to the UK with your family as a tourist but you would need to leave to submit your application for the spouse visa.

from what Ive read I believe the quick turn around you refer to is for FLR (further leave to remain) which is what you need to apply for 2.5 years after you're granted your original visa. If you pay the priority fee you can get it processed on the day.

spouse visa approval can take three months. So if you apply in the next few weeks you may get it back before the new school year starts. The fee is quite high, currently £956 so close to $2000 and there are financial and accommodation requirements that need to be met.

Thank you for the information, I am finding it difficult to work out what I need to do, I have emailed a few agents in the UK and am waiting to hear back, if anyone can recommend and agent please give me their details.

It sadly isn't as straight forward as you would hope it would be, hence why my English husband and I are moving to Ireland now instead of back to the UK.

ive spoken to a few consultants at 1st contact, they were helpful but again they have a hefty fee to have them assist you in the process.

http://www.1stcontact.com.au

there are contact details on their website.

Good luck with it, I hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you.

Just an update if anyone was wondering, thank you for the 1st contact link, they were really helpful, thankfully once we sell our house we will have enough money so the migration agent seemed to think that from the date we settle on the house I should have my visa within two-three weeks. The rules are incredibly harsh, most people wouldn't have 130k Australian sitting in the bank, we certainly wouldn't if we didn't have something to sell. Also the normal spouse settlement visa costs 995 pounds, an extra 350 pounds will get it processed in under 10 days.

Guest Guest98974
Just an update if anyone was wondering, thank you for the 1st contact link, they were really helpful, thankfully once we sell our house we will have enough money so the migration agent seemed to think that from the date we settle on the house I should have my visa within two-three weeks. The rules are incredibly harsh, most people wouldn't have 130k Australian sitting in the bank, we certainly wouldn't if we didn't have something to sell. Also the normal spouse settlement visa costs 995 pounds, an extra 350 pounds will get it processed in under 10 days.

Hmmm, I would question your agent on this.

UK spouse visa rules are pretty clear in that the finances must be in your bank, untouched for a period of 6 months before applying.

UK spouse visa rules are pretty clear in that the finances must be in your bank, untouched for a period of 6 months before applying.

The only waiver for the funds being in your bank for more than six months is if the funds are as a result of the sale of a property that was held for two years, it is on the uk.gov site

Not necessarily..

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/420154/Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Paragraph 7.4.10 specifies that:

Funds held as cash savings by the applicant, their partner or both jointly at the date of application can be from the proceeds of the sale of property within the period of 6 months prior to the date of application

This is what I have been told

Category D: cash savings

The applicant or sponsor must have held cash savings of at least £62,500 (or equivalent local currency amount) in a bank account for a minimum of six months.

It is possible to use cash savings that have not been held for six months if the funds are the result of the sale of an investment that had been held for more than six months. Cash savings can be combined with some other categories to help you meet the financial requirement.

This is what I have been told

Category D: cash savings

The applicant or sponsor must have held cash savings of at least £62,500 (or equivalent local currency amount) in a bank account

It is possible to use cash savings that have not been held for six months if the funds are the result of the sale of an investment that had been held for more than six months. Cash savings can be combined with some other categories to help you meet the financial requirement.

Yes you are correct on the six months being waived if the savings is from sale of investments. Good luck with your house sale and move.

Archived