Single mum of one moving to Brisbane area...

Louisej323

Hi,

I'm a 43 year old single mum of one eleven year old daughter and we are wanting to move to the Brisbane area or the suburbs, particularly the Sunshine Coast in the next 12 months.

I am wanting to chat to other single mums (or families for that matter) who have already moved from the UK to the Brisbane area or single mums still in the UK about to embark on moving to the Brisbane area so we can go through the process together and advise and assist one another on the way, as well as become great friends :yes:

I look forward to hearing from you...

Just wanted to say hi. We are not single parents but have an only child who is also an 11 year old daughter.

Moving to the Redlands Bay area south east of Brisbane in the next couple of months. Hope you can find someone in a similar position to share the process.

Hi

We made the move 5 years ago but it didnt work out....first time around.

Hoping to make the move again at the begining of September, we took a trip over during Easter this year and cannot wait to live on the Sunshine Coast. Hardest part is deciding which suburb, there are a lot of really good ones to choose from!

I'm moving with hubby, three children 8,11 and 17 and a dog.

Good luck

Roxanne

Hi I'm Chantelle , a year off moving yet but starting application for skills assesement end of this year and hope to be in a position to have the visa next summer. I'm moving to Brisbane bayside looking at Wellington point , Ormiston area. Have friends in this area so going on a reccie to check out schools etc. I will hopefully be working at the new children's hospital. Part of me also fancies the sunshine Coast but depends on when the new hospital opens and hubby's work? Will have a 8 year old and twins 5 when we make the move.

Good luck, when are you hoping to move? I'm more than happy to discuss Oz in kind of obsessed lol so talk away :laugh:

Just wanted to say hi. We are not single parents but have an only child who is also an 11 year old daughter.

Moving to the Redlands Bay area south east of Brisbane in the next couple of months. Hope you can find someone in a similar position to share the process.

Hi, Thanks for saying 'Hello'. I see you started your visa process in 2013 with your visa granted a year later. It's quite a long process isn't it. How did you decide which suburb to settle in? and have you got a house already sorted or will you be looking for a rental when you arrive? How is your daughter feeling about the move?...is she excited?

Hi

We made the move 5 years ago but it didnt work out....first time around.

Hoping to make the move again at the begining of September, we took a trip over during Easter this year and cannot wait to live on the Sunshine Coast. Hardest part is deciding which suburb, there are a lot of really good ones to choose from!

I'm moving with hubby, three children 8,11 and 17 and a dog.

Good luck

Roxanne

Hi Roxanne,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We also have lived in Australia before. We were in Perth for just over a year in 2012-2013. My partner at the time was Australian who had been in the Uk for a number of years and wanted to move back so we went across with him. We applied for a partner/defacto visa. Unfortunately the visa never got granted because after 8 months of him being in his home land again surrounded by his family and friends he decided our relationship was not working for him. We returned to the UK but ever since have wanted to go back so this time I'm doing it alone with my daughter. So we decided not to return to Perth and decided on Brisbane. I have been speaking to my work contacts in Perth and they have put me in contact with Brisbane employers in my profession so work is plentiful, just need to get out there.

I have friends of friends who live in Robina on the Sunshine Coast, but other than that I know very little about other areas. Which areas are you thinking of? Have you already got your visas and accommodation sorted?

Louise

Hi I'm Chantelle , a year off moving yet but starting application for skills assesement end of this year and hope to be in a position to have the visa next summer. I'm moving to Brisbane bayside looking at Wellington point , Ormiston area. Have friends in this area so going on a reccie to check out schools etc. I will hopefully be working at the new children's hospital. Part of me also fancies the sunshine Coast but depends on when the new hospital opens and hubby's work? Will have a 8 year old and twins 5 when we make the move.

Good luck, when are you hoping to move? I'm more than happy to discuss Oz in kind of obsessed lol so talk away :laugh:

Hi Chantelle!

I know what you mean...all i think, dream and talk about is moving to Australia!! haha! Working lots of extra shifts to save up more money so finding it hard to actually get on with the process. Its taken me 3 weeks to post on here to get some advice...I'm so glad I did though lots of lovely responses.

I'm hoping to move by early next year, its difficult to know where to start though, there is so much to organise. I am in early talks with an employer re a sponsorship visa, so I'm possibly getting a 457 visa, as I think the EOI route could take forever and I may even never get invited to apply for a visa... I take it your going across on a Skilled migrant visa with you saying about working at a hospital?

Having not been to Brisbane before its difficult to know where to settle. I've been looking at the possibility of staying with someone when we first arrive until we secure a rental. Airbnb is a good site for people renting out rooms in their homes. I also had an idea that if there was another single mum, family or couple that wanted to share a place when we first arrive it would help provide support and cheaper rental of each of us until we secure our own rentals in the areas of our choice....

So much to consider, and it feels much scarier this time with it being just me and my daughter.

Louise

Hi, Thanks for saying 'Hello'. I see you started your visa process in 2013 with your visa granted a year later. It's quite a long process isn't it. How did you decide which suburb to settle in? and have you got a house already sorted or will you be looking for a rental when you arrive? How is your daughter feeling about the move?...is she excited?

Hi Louise. It is difficult deciding where to look to live. Many people will focus on proximity to likely place of work but our emphasis was on schools. This is our dream to retire in the sun so we wanted to find the most favourable area for private schools which are a lot more affordable than in England.

We organised 3 schools to see on a recce, liked them all, but one was a clear favourite with our daughter so she has a place there starting in October. The fact that we have been there, that she had a try-out day, and chose the school is a major plus in her being onboard with the whole thing. She is going to find it hard to say goodbye to friends but we know she will make new ones quickly.

We spent a lot of time on virtual google maps tours and viewing property online so it was much as we expected it when we went last year. Probably will rent for 6 months and then buy but the sooner we put down permanent roots the better.

Hi Louise. It is difficult deciding where to look to live. Many people will focus on proximity to likely place of work but our emphasis was on schools. This is our dream to retire in the sun so we wanted to find the most favourable area for private schools which are a lot more affordable than in England.

We organised 3 schools to see on a recce, liked them all, but one was a clear favourite with our daughter so she has a place there starting in October. The fact that we have been there, that she had a try-out day, and chose the school is a major plus in her being onboard with the whole thing. She is going to find it hard to say goodbye to friends but we know she will make new ones quickly.

We spent a lot of time on virtual google maps tours and viewing property online so it was much as we expected it when we went last year. Probably will rent for 6 months and then buy but the sooner we put down permanent roots the better.

Its a difficult decision to make the move, its big, however you only get one life and you have to live it the best way you can. Its scary, but like yourselves I've wanted to live in sunny Australia for as long as I can remember. I worry for my daughter, no siblings to be there for her, but yes she will make new friends quickly, and I worry because I am on my own, and there's only me to bring a wage in, the pressure is on to get it right. So I feel building up a good support network of friends who have emigrated too is important, people who understand and who can help in times of need or doubt.

I've heard Robina on the Sunshine Coast has a big English community, I'm sure that can only be a good thing. I work in Broadcast Media so my work will be not in one base, I may even need to freelance too, so that makes it difficult for me to choose an area to settle. Like you I may go off schools...I have a lot to look into and lots to consider, cost of areas, schools, work...where do i start?!

Its a difficult decision to make the move, its big, however you only get one life and you have to live it the best way you can. Its scary, but like yourselves I've wanted to live in sunny Australia for as long as I can remember. I worry for my daughter, no siblings to be there for her, but yes she will make new friends quickly, and I worry because I am on my own, and there's only me to bring a wage in, the pressure is on to get it right. So I feel building up a good support network of friends who have emigrated too is important, people who understand and who can help in times of need or doubt.

I've heard Robina on the Sunshine Coast has a big English community, I'm sure that can only be a good thing. I work in Broadcast Media so my work will be not in one base, I may even need to freelance too, so that makes it difficult for me to choose an area to settle. Like you I may go off schools...I have a lot to look into and lots to consider, cost of areas, schools, work...where do i start?!

Just to confirm that Robina is on the Gold Coast rather than the Sunshine Coast.

• 1 month later...

Hello Louise

I've just moved to the Brighton area of QLD, a 30-minute train drive journey from Brisbane. We've moved from Newcastle (just along from you) and I've moved with my hubby and 4-year old son.

We'd talked about it for years and finally got the courage in January to apply, we came in via the 457 route and landed in Brisbane at the end of April. We've been here 10-weeks and it has had more ups than downs. Its taken me some time to find work but I start my new job on Monday after applying for more than 70 jobs in my field. The job market has been a shock to me as I have extensive experience! My advice is if you can find employment before you come you should, that's what my husband did.

In my opinion things here cost the same as the UK and some are cheaper. The lifestyle I can offer my little boy here is wonderful compared to the cold north east weather!

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and help but I'm also a newbie so might not know! If you do settle in the Brisbane area give me a shout and I'll happily meet you for a cuppa.

Hello Louise

I've just moved to the Brighton area of QLD, a 30-minute train drive journey from Brisbane. We've moved from Newcastle (just along from you) and I've moved with my hubby and 4-year old son.

We'd talked about it for years and finally got the courage in January to apply, we came in via the 457 route and landed in Brisbane at the end of April. We've been here 10-weeks and it has had more ups than downs. Its taken me some time to find work but I start my new job on Monday after applying for more than 70 jobs in my field. The job market has been a shock to me as I have extensive experience! My advice is if you can find employment before you come you should, that's what my husband did.

In my opinion things here cost the same as the UK and some are cheaper. The lifestyle I can offer my little boy here is wonderful compared to the cold north east weather!

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and help but I'm also a newbie so might not know! If you do settle in the Brisbane area give me a shout and I'll happily meet you for a cuppa.

Hi,

Thanks for your message. Where in Newcastle were you living? Good for you for making the move. I know what you mean about the North East weather I'm so fed up of the cold. When you arrived in April was that the first time you had been to Australia?

10 weeks isan't a long time, I'm sure you have plenty more good times ahead and then you will start to settle better.

Did you know anyone where you moved to? Have you made it easy to make friends?

How did you organise a house where you were going to live before you went out?

Did you take your entire house over or did you sell your furniture and household stuff and buy new when you arrived in Oz? Only I'm not sure what to do as shipping is so expensive. Sorry I have lots of questions...haha!

I've sold my house so trying to cut down on our furniture and belongings so there is less to bring out.

I'd love to meet you for a cuppa when I eventually get out there. Not sure when that will be yet but I'm hoping it will be the end of this year or the beginning of next year as i want my daughter to start year 7 at her new school at the end of January 2016 with the new school year. I've been tentitively looking at Varsity College School in Varsity Lakes for her, its not far from Robina.

Hiya,

I moved out to Brisbane from Wales in January with my husband and 2 girls (7&11yrs). We are living in Wishart, south of brisbane. I was the one that really drove the move as I got the visa on my occupation (nurse). However since being here its my husband who has worked, setting up a handyman business and doing really well. I on the other hand am still waiting for my registration from Aphra. Having now completed the very expensive bridging course it will hopefully come through this week!! I have done a weeks work now as a care assistant with an agency so at least thats a bit extra money! I haven't regretted anything since moving here. Not missed the UK at all. The kids have settled in school life here really well and made some good friends. Its just the older one that moans quite a lot cos she doesn't like being too hot!! But I'm sure she'll get used to it in time!!!

We have rented since we got here. Original plan was to buy after 6 months but because I haven't a permanant job yet and OH being self employed we can't get a mortgage yet so will rent for a further 6 months. Can't wait to get our own place though.

We did ship stuff over, but to be honest once it arrived apart from our sofa I could have done without most of the rest!! Did my head waiting for stuff and would have been easier just to have started from scratch. Furniture is particularly expensive if you are happy with IKEA and A Mart stuff!!

The only thing I don't really have yet is friends, not having a job has made it hard to get to know people and obviously my husband works alone so isn't getting to know many people. So would be very happy to meet up for a cuppa or something with anyone willing!!!

Hiya,

I moved out to Brisbane from Wales in January with my husband and 2 girls (7&11yrs). We are living in Wishart, south of brisbane. I was the one that really drove the move as I got the visa on my occupation (nurse). However since being here its my husband who has worked, setting up a handyman business and doing really well. I on the other hand am still waiting for my registration from Aphra. Having now completed the very expensive bridging course it will hopefully come through this week!! I have done a weeks work now as a care assistant with an agency so at least thats a bit extra money! I haven't regretted anything since moving here. Not missed the UK at all. The kids have settled in school life here really well and made some good friends. Its just the older one that moans quite a lot cos she doesn't like being too hot!! But I'm sure she'll get used to it in time!!!

We have rented since we got here. Original plan was to buy after 6 months but because I haven't a permanant job yet and OH being self employed we can't get a mortgage yet so will rent for a further 6 months. Can't wait to get our own place though.

We did ship stuff over, but to be honest once it arrived apart from our sofa I could have done without most of the rest!! Did my head waiting for stuff and would have been easier just to have started from scratch. Furniture is particularly expensive if you are happy with IKEA and A Mart stuff!!

The only thing I don't really have yet is friends, not having a job has made it hard to get to know people and obviously my husband works alone so isn't getting to know many people. So would be very happy to meet up for a cuppa or something with anyone willing!!!

Hi, Thanks so much for your message. Lovely to hear from you.

I have some questions if thats ok?...Did you know anyone in Brisbane before you went out? did you secure your rental property before you went? if so how did you do that from the UK? if not where did you organise to stay while you got a rental property? How did your girls feel about the move, were they happy to go? So do you love Brisbane? do you have a better lifestyle there?

My worry is that it is just me and my daughter, it feels a little scary not having anyone else to have our back, if you know what I mean.

I haven't secured my visa fully yet so still waiting for that to come through. But when it does I want to be ready to come out straight away. I work in TV Production so I will be freelance to start with, already have lots of contacts for work but I guess you never really know how things will work out till your over there.

I am struggling with what to bring out with us and how much. I'm worried if we don't bring our own things and house stuff we won't settle that easy and miss home more. what do you think?

I would love to meet up for a cuppa as soon as we get out there, I think its important to meet up with other brits who have gone through the same and understand. Look forward to hearing from you, Please keep in touch.

Hi Louise

We lived in the Jarrow/Hebburn area but I worked in Gosforth so spent a lot of time North of the Tyne! We visited Australia in 2006 on an extended holiday. We liked Brisbane as it was small and friendly compared to Sydney etc. However, its a lot bigger then Newcastle. We decided on Brisbane to settle as there is a CBD, its close to the coast and the job market seemed stronger for my hubby.

We didn't know anyone here and moved with a small budget so had to keep costs down. We've rented our house on the UK as we currently only have a temp visa. We sold/donated most of out stuff and sent out very little, we opted for a shared container to keep the costs down. However, we've been here 10-weeks, the shipping company has had our stuff 12-weeks and it hasn't even left the UK as they're waiting for the container to fill up. So I think you either go for a full container yourself or send the smallest amount of stuff. We've ended up buying some stuff this weekend that we'd sent out as we couldn't wait any longer. You can refurb your home here very cheaply if you don't mind basic stuff, we then plan to replace some stuff as we go. Thing like lovely cutlery and plates etc. don't seem to matter at the moment as we don't know anyone so can't entertain. Places like K-Mart and Target are cheap and is fine to get you started. We read so many reviews about Australia being so expensive but we've found a lot of things cheaper than the UK. Its like anything, if you want the best of the best you can pay for it but we've found lots of reasonably priced stuff too.

My husband's new employer put us in temp. accommodation for a week, a lovely furnished partment in the City and we could have extended our stay there but it was really expensive. Luckily one of my husband's new colleagues had a holiday home and let us rent that on a week to week basis and it was half the price of the city place and much nicer. We found it tough to find rental property because a lot of it wasn't what we were used to, it was a bit of a shock to me to have to go under the house to do the washing, in fact it spooked me so much we had to go for a nice clean new build. You'll be in the same situation as us, you'll need to pick the correct area first time as you'll have schooling to consider so you probably won't want to keep moving around. The area we have moved to is really nice but we did research it a lot. I think you are looking Southside but if you do change your mind and decide on the Northside I can really recommend Sandgate/Brighton and it has a trainline to the City.

We printed out credit reports from the UK and I think that helped us get a rental, it was very straight foward and we moved in within a couple of days. I just found for every decent house I viewed about 6 properties were unsuitable, so I found the first few weeks exhausting with a 4-year old in tow.

I haven't had chance to make friends yet but have been so busy haven't had chance to be lonely. However, I start work tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to adult conversation. We also had lunch with some of my husband's colleagues today. They're from the UK and were so welcoming. We've got plans to meet up with some of my husband's australian colleagues next week with their families and the following week are attending an open BBQ for expats. However, this will be the first time we've socilaised since we got here.

At this stage I can honestly say we don't miss the UK. With Skype, Facebook and WhatsApp its so easy to stay in the loop. My advice to you is if you want to try it you should. We debated for 9-years and our only regret at this point is we didn't do it sooner. My family are struggling with the move which I feel awful about but I can see such a change in my little boy and he's only been here a few weeks, he's much more confident.

I think I've answered anything but just ask away if there's anything else. I know it seems scary when you're at home planning it but its fine once you get here... well hopefully it is!

Regards

Joanne

Hey there

I did the same move as you are planning a couple of years ago just myself and 15 year old son. We started with a regional visa so couldn't live in Brisbane or the Gold Coast but now have PR. It was a tough move all things considered and there have been many times when we considered returning to UK because we felt quite isolated. Upon arrival I felt enormous pressure to get a job as I had only approximately 4 months money. We bought furniture on Gumtree and then sold it when our own arrived in the shipping - made a profit.

Since our pr has been granted things are much better. I now work in Brisbane and we have just bought a house on Northern Gold Coast so it has been a big year of progress for us. My son does want to return to the UK in a few year time to join the Navy but we both agreed we would give it at least five years in Oz. He has settled fairly well and has made a couple of friends. I have made some friends through my new job so things are much improved.

My advice is that it may not be easy but give it a good amount of time to get used to things when you arrive. Good luck

Millie

Hi, Thanks so much for your message. Lovely to hear from you.

I have some questions if thats ok?...Did you know anyone in Brisbane before you went out? did you secure your rental property before you went? if so how did you do that from the UK? if not where did you organise to stay while you got a rental property? How did your girls feel about the move, were they happy to go? So do you love Brisbane? do you have a better lifestyle there?

My worry is that it is just me and my daughter, it feels a little scary not having anyone else to have our back, if you know what I mean.

I haven't secured my visa fully yet so still waiting for that to come through. But when it does I want to be ready to come out straight away. I work in TV Production so I will be freelance to start with, already have lots of contacts for work but I guess you never really know how things will work out till your over there.

I am struggling with what to bring out with us and how much. I'm worried if we don't bring our own things and house stuff we won't settle that easy and miss home more. what do you think?

I would love to meet up for a cuppa as soon as we get out there, I think its important to meet up with other brits who have gone through the same and understand. Look forward to hearing from you, Please keep in touch.

Hi Louise,

Ask as many questions as you like!!

Yes I did know someone out here. We came on a reccie last year and I met up with a friend who had lived here for 3 years. I hadn't seen her for 16years but it felt as if it were yesterday. She very luckily offered to put us up when we first got here. We arrived on a thursday and on the sat we went rental hunting. I think we saw 9 altogether but it was the last one we loved. It was a nice townhouse on a complex with pool, right price, right catchment area for the school we wanted. We did pay 6 months up front because neither of us had a job but we had the money from the sale of our house so was ok. Also meant we didn't have to worry about rent everyweek while looking for jobs. We moved into it about 10 days later. It could have been quicker but the previous people hadn't moved out. I did look at places while in the uk but to be honest you have to see the place in the flesh to get a feel for it. The girls were ok about the move. The youngest was the easiest she's up for anything!! The eldest a bit harder work,but then shes hard work anyway, like a blinking teenager already!! I do love living here it felt like home as soon as we got here. As for better lifestyle yes I think so. Hard to say really. We all seem happier here. You still have the same day to day things to contend with eg: school run, sports, traffic, work but everyone seems happier doing it!! People don't seem to moan all the time like in UK. Theres nice things to do on weekends and holidays without having to travel miles. I don't think anything in particular is more expensive except kids sport. petrol is like half price and most other things pretty similiar at todays exchange rates.

We didn't plan on bringing loads, We bought our sofas and some IKEA playroom furnuiture that we had. The rest was just boxes of stuff and husbands tools and bikes. Wish we hadn't bothered with the bikes as real cheap here anyway. The tools would prob have been better of selling and replacing as they don't seem to work as well having been cleaned so much so as customs wouldn't complain!! Its nice having a few bits and pieces of our own around like ornaments and photos but if I were to do it again (which I don't plan to) I wouldn't bring nearly as much. I wouldn't bother with any kitchens bits really. All real cheap in K mart plus you end up buying stuff cos the ship takes so long!! Also once all our stuff arrived I was like jees where the hell am I gonna put it all!! I also love the excitement of buying new things!!

How long do you think til you get your visa? Are you on a 189? When did you apply?

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for your message, I'm now seeing things a lot clearer about what I need to do. My house sale is in the early stages but is going through and should be completed in 6 weeks time. I will have to rent somewhere in Hexham for a few months till we have our visa and sold more of our belongings. After hearing what you said about shipping and what to bring I still need to get rid of quite a lot of stuff to make the shipping costs managable a part container sounds about right for me to.

Although I do have a friend and her family in Brisbane whom I know, I was thinking of renting a place from airb&b there are lots of people on the Gold Coast who rent rooms or apartments/house out. I thought as long as I can get to the suburb I want to settle in, then I can get my daughter into a school and get a bit of routine and normaility to our first few weeks, while she makes friends and I search for rentals. Yes, like you, I definately need to pick the right suburb first time round, we can not keep moving around. Putting some roots down and having a bit of a base and security will be important for us.

Pleased you are starting to mingle with new friends and other expats, having a good strong circle of friends I think is important as everyone tells me they will become your new family and support network. It must be hard leaving family and friends but i guess you have to just do whats right for you and your family. Thats what I keep telling myself and thats why I'm pushing forward with this move. Its what I've always wanted to do. We're just going to give it ago.

I hope your new job is going well and your settling in. Enjoy your social events, and heres to making new friends.

I'm sure I'll have more questions just can't think of them right now...

keep in touch, speak soon.

Louise x

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Louise,

Ask as many questions as you like!!

Yes I did know someone out here. We came on a reccie last year and I met up with a friend who had lived here for 3 years. I hadn't seen her for 16years but it felt as if it were yesterday. She very luckily offered to put us up when we first got here. We arrived on a thursday and on the sat we went rental hunting. I think we saw 9 altogether but it was the last one we loved. It was a nice townhouse on a complex with pool, right price, right catchment area for the school we wanted. We did pay 6 months up front because neither of us had a job but we had the money from the sale of our house so was ok. Also meant we didn't have to worry about rent everyweek while looking for jobs. We moved into it about 10 days later. It could have been quicker but the previous people hadn't moved out. I did look at places while in the uk but to be honest you have to see the place in the flesh to get a feel for it. The girls were ok about the move. The youngest was the easiest she's up for anything!! The eldest a bit harder work,but then shes hard work anyway, like a blinking teenager already!! I do love living here it felt like home as soon as we got here. As for better lifestyle yes I think so. Hard to say really. We all seem happier here. You still have the same day to day things to contend with eg: school run, sports, traffic, work but everyone seems happier doing it!! People don't seem to moan all the time like in UK. Theres nice things to do on weekends and holidays without having to travel miles. I don't think anything in particular is more expensive except kids sport. petrol is like half price and most other things pretty similiar at todays exchange rates.

We didn't plan on bringing loads, We bought our sofas and some IKEA playroom furnuiture that we had. The rest was just boxes of stuff and husbands tools and bikes. Wish we hadn't bothered with the bikes as real cheap here anyway. The tools would prob have been better of selling and replacing as they don't seem to work as well having been cleaned so much so as customs wouldn't complain!! Its nice having a few bits and pieces of our own around like ornaments and photos but if I were to do it again (which I don't plan to) I wouldn't bring nearly as much. I wouldn't bother with any kitchens bits really. All real cheap in K mart plus you end up buying stuff cos the ship takes so long!! Also once all our stuff arrived I was like jees where the hell am I gonna put it all!! I also love the excitement of buying new things!!

How long do you think til you get your visa? Are you on a 189? When did you apply?

Thanks for your message, I am ebaying while we speak trying to cut down the amount of stuff we have. I'm thinking of selling big items and just bringing personal belongings after all buying new things will be fun and initially I'm not sure where we will stay in a B&B or rental or a friends spare room. The least we have to lug around the better and the shipping costs are so expensive.

I've been lookin at visas for so long now. After speaking to a migration agent I was told a 457 sponsorship visa was my only option. I have been in contact with an employee whom says they can sponsor me for a position in their company. The visas are a minefield though and I'm finding them so confusing. Hopefully starting the process soon still in talks re contract and salary.

I'll keep in touch and let you know how I get on. Hopefully when we get out there we can meet for a coffee.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a single mum to my 5 year old son and I moved to Oz in 2013. I was sponsored on a 457 visa and now live in Springfield Lakes, which is a thriving, family orientated area. There have been plenty of ups and downs, but I think it's important to allow plenty of time to settle in. At this stage, 2 years on, I am still uncertain as to whether the move was a good choice...

• 4 weeks later...
I am a single mum to my 5 year old son and I moved to Oz in 2013. I was sponsored on a 457 visa and now live in Springfield Lakes, which is a thriving, family orientated area. There have been plenty of ups and downs, but I think it's important to allow plenty of time to settle in. At this stage, 2 years on, I am still uncertain as to whether the move was a good choice...

Hi, I'm so sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I've had a lot going on with the sale of my house and been really stressed out so not been on the computer much as i have been unable to concentrate on anything. Things are looking up a bit mow so I'm pushing on with my dream of moving back to Australia.

We were in Perth for a year but my relationship broke down and we came home. we've been home two years now and a day does not go by that I don't think about the amazing life we could have had in Australia, Thats why I'm determined to come back. So when you say your uncertain whether to stay or not my advice to you would be if you did move home you would realise what you gave up and probably regret it. Two families of friends I made in Perth both have moved on to different states, one Adelaide and one the Gold Coast. I have been looking at the Gold Coast because Pamela and her family said I would love it there.

We should keep in touch as I think we could help each other out both being a single mum and all...thats if you want to of course.

What made you decide to move to the Gold Coast with your son? How did you go about it? Did you know anyone out there before you moved? I have to say you were very brave, I worry like mad about how I will manage as a single mum hardly knowing anyone. Did you sort a property to stay before you left the UK or when you got to the Gold Coast?

I don't have a sponsor for a 457 visa and looking at other visa options to come over, its a minefield of options and very confusing. What occupation do you do? did you find childcare easily?

I am also concerned about how much money to bring out and about whether to ship over household belongings and furniture or just personal items and clothes etc? What did you do?

Sorry for all the questions.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Louise x

Archived