189 EOI sent 18/5/15

Hi guys, I have just received my officialy IELTS results and therefore had enough points to submit my Expression of interest.

Is anyone else at the same stage- waiting to get an invitation? In the April visa applying group there is talk of there being a hold on granting due to many applicants!! :arghh:

I haven't done a medical yet- eek I had better book that in as I want to apply for a visa as soon as I get an invite. Really hoping we don't have to wait long- some people have only had to wait a few days although I reckon now it will be next month! :daydreaming:

Does anyone know how to insert a signature onto the bottom of these posts? I can't seem to see the option on 'My profile'. It is definitely handy to see everyone's progression.

Several people on other 189 threads have been advised by DIBP that no more 189 visas are available until after 30 June. Not sure if that means that no more 189 invites will be issued or if they will still issue invites but simply hold off granting visas.

You can apply for a visa as soon as you get an invite and can have your medical after that if you wish - it is not a time of application requirement.

To insert a signature, go to Settings (top of page) and select Edit signature. You can't set up a signature as a brand new member but you've made 21 posts and that should be enough.

Since people have been talking about no more places they still seem to have had more invitations...I really hope they are doing invites as if I have to wait until June then my 90 days will likely be up on my 457 visa that I need to find a new sponsor eek.

If you're currently on a 457, do you realise that until you are granted a 189 (or have your 457 transferred to a new employer), you are only allowed to work for the original 457 employer? The Bridging visa A you will get when you lodge a 189 application only takes effect when your 457 expires (not if it is cancelled for any reason). Until the BVA takes effect, you must comply with all of the conditions of your 457.

I have 90 days before having to find a new sponsor, due to mental health reasons I had to leave my current job. I have 90 days to find a new sponsor or leave. I was hoping that I may be granted a new visa in that time (ha ha not going to happen). It is ridiculous as if I get a new sponsor now it would only be for a few months to cover me "legally" as after that I would want to quit...

due to my mental health being in full time veterinary work.

How long in general do the visas take to be granted? My other option is applying for a partner visa but I would prefer the 189 as it is a permanent visa and is much cheaper.

If you haven't found a new sponsor after 90 days, you need to notify DIBP. They may then send you a notification of intent to cancel your visa and (I think) you have 28 days to respond or leave. If you respond that you've applied for a 189 visa, it's likely they would hold off cancelling your 457 until the decision is made on the 189 visa. So you are likely able to remain in Australia. However until the 189 visa is granted (including the time you are on your bridging visa), you must comply with the conditions of your 457 visa.

Ok great thank you! I read somewhere that you were allowed to stay and live and could only work by the same rules as your current visa eg for the same sponsor. But also understood it that you didn't have to do exactly as your current visa stipulated eg didn't have to work?

You can only work for a nominating sponsor, but it doesn't need to be the same one you originally worked for on your 457. Normally you'd need to work, however DIBP may allow you to remain on your 457 without working while your 189 is being processed. That's what you need to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived