189 Skilled Visa - Skills Assessment Expired -PANIC

Hi,

Hoping somebody can provide advice. We are onshore already, and are currently on a sponsored visa with no problems.

However, we wended to be independent of an employer so applied for Skilled Independent Visa. We submitted an EOI, got invited 2 weeks later. We were obviously very excited and applied and paid the fee quickly. Whilst we are updating documents i realised my skills assessment expired after two years, which meant it ran out 4 DAYS before I applied for the Visa.

HELP. Do I:

1) Wait for a case officer allocation and explain. This wasn't false information, more a technical error! Weigh up risk of being rejected.

2) Apply for a skills assessment renewal and hope it arrives ASAP. (which it might!?)

3) Withdraw application and hope for $5000 refund.

ANY ADVICE??????????????????? thanks in advance.

x

As far as I know, the skills assessment must be valid at the time of invitation. So if it was expired when your invitation was issued, you'd need to withdraw your application (DIBP doesn't give refunds due to errors by applicants). You may consider it a "technical error" but DIBP can take the view that you've provided bogus documents which can lead to a heap of trouble.

I thought immigration accepted skills assessments up to three years old? As such, I would be inclined to go for option 1) for now.

I would not do option 2) because it will be dated after your EOI and will look like you did it afterwards. Which you did of course.

I wouldn't do option 3) yet. But if it looks like it will be w problem when your file is looked at, it is better to withdraw than have a refusal. You have buckleys chance of a refund though.

A skills assessment is valid until the expiry date specified on the assessment, or three years from the date it was issues, whichever comes first.

Yes just looked it up and was about to edit my post. It looks like the skills assessment was valid at time of invitation but had expired by time of application then. I think I would still sit tight, for now and see what happens.

A skills assessment is valid until the expiry date specified on the assessment, or three years from the date it was issues, whichever comes first.

Yes, my social work skilled assessment had a two year expiry date. Expired mid April 2015. I have heard that some people have withdrawn their application and had their fee back, I'm hoping the same will apply! I'm going to wait for a case officer and explain. I'm hoping as we are already onshore with a long term visa anyway they may be flexible ?? ha!

thanks

Guest guest30085

I'm sure the skills assessment has to be valid at the time of invitation, rather than when you actually complete the form and pay for the visa?

Is the end date of your skills assessment later than the date you were invited to apply?

Guest guest30085

NEWSNew validity requirement for skills assessments

From 1 July 2014, if a skills assessment is mandatory as part of a visa application, that assessment will only be valid for a period of three years from the date of issue, unless a shorter validity period is specified on the assessment.

A skills assessment must be valid at the time of lodgement for the following visas:

• Direct Entry stream of the Employer Nominated Scheme (subclass 186) visa
  • Direct Entry stream of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa
  • Graduate Work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa.

A skills assessment must be valid at the time of invitation to apply through SkillSelect for the following visas:

• Skilled—Independent (subclass 189) visa
  • Skilled—Nominated (subclass 190) visa
  • Skilled Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa.

These changes do not affect the Temporary Work (Skilled)(subclass 457) visa.

Yes, my social work skilled assessment had a two year expiry date. Expired mid April 2015. I have heard that some people have withdrawn their application and had their fee back, I'm hoping the same will apply! I'm going to wait for a case officer and explain. I'm hoping as we are already onshore with a long term visa anyway they may be flexible  ha!

thanks

Can you be more specific than "April" as it sounds like there are just days in this. Can you confirm all the dates, expiry, date of invitation, date of you lodging application.

I have come across very few people that have had a refund after making an error, I am afraid you need to hope that these dates work out.

Archived