457 to 186 application with no overlap

I'm currently on a 457 visa and my employer has said they are happy to sponsor me for a ENS186 visa. When we did the applications for the 457 visa my employer only put down 2 years (I think they didn't realise the implications), which will be up in February 2016. So I have to wait to apply for the ENS186 until I've been on a 457 for 2 years, but that 2 year mark will also be the end of my 457 visa! So what's the best approach? Should I apply for the 186 visa on the very same day as my 457 expires? I think I would then automatically go onto a bridging visa until a decision on the 186 is made, but it feels like I'd be cutting it very fine.

I'd like to apply before the 2 years is up - just a few days before - but would that then invalidate my application, even though it very likely wouldn't actually be looked at by Immigration until way after the 2-year mark? And would my employer have to lodge their nomination on the same last day too? This is probably a question for immigration directly but thought I'd try here first :)

If they nominate you under the Temporary Residence Transition stream before you've completed 2 years of employment with them, the nomination will be refused. I'd be incredibly stressed if I were to wait until the day my 457 visa was expiring for my employer to lodge the nomination and then me to lodge my application. If there was any hiccup in the system or if the day fell on a weekend/public holiday, you'd be up the proverbial creek. I'm not even sure if this is possible - would depend on whether DIBP considers the 2 years to END on the day your visa expires, in which case you couldn't lodge the nomination and application until the next day and you're then here illegally.

I'd look into either the 186 under Direct Entry Stream if you can meeting the requirements, or else renewing the 457 and then putting in the 186 TRT once that's been received (not sure if you can apply for 186 while on the bridging visa).

I'm currently on a 457 visa and my employer has said they are happy to sponsor me for a ENS186 visa. When we did the applications for the 457 visa my employer only put down 2 years (I think they didn't realise the implications), which will be up in February 2016. So I have to wait to apply for the ENS186 until I've been on a 457 for 2 years, but that 2 year mark will also be the end of my 457 visa! So what's the best approach? Should I apply for the 186 visa on the very same day as my 457 expires? I think I would then automatically go onto a bridging visa until a decision on the 186 is made, but it feels like I'd be cutting it very fine.

I'd like to apply before the 2 years is up - just a few days before - but would that then invalidate my application, even though it very likely wouldn't actually be looked at by Immigration until way after the 2-year mark? And would my employer have to lodge their nomination on the same last day too? This is probably a question for immigration directly but thought I'd try here first :)

I think trying to work with the dates you have is a disaster waiting to happen. Get a skills assessment done and apply through the Direct Entry scheme, or apply for a new 457 to give yourself the time you need.

Archived