'Awful April' has, so far, turned into 'Marvellous May!'

MARYROSE02

I had my first swim for nearly five weeks yesterday at Bronte, partly because I did have a cold during much of April, but we also had nasty weather. Now, it has become (almost) spring again. Yesterday was positvely 'balmy' and I had a late (5.30) swim at Bronte. It's lovely again today, though a touch cooler. So, this is the last month of autumn, then three months of 'winter', and it's spring again!

I have to say that even though the winter here isn`t really a winter, I am not looking forward to it a lot. The best part as I remember from last year is that everything looks fresh, green, and a lot of flowers are in bloom at that time. I already pulled the electric blanket out of the cupboard and wear a jacket almost every day. Don`t mind me though, I am a freak of nature and I get cold when it`s less than 25 degrees :cry:. The rest of my family are running around in T shirts enjoying the sun :rolleyes:

I went to Bronte last week - it was a bit of a wreck after the storms. Debris everywhere, loads of pebbles from the sea bed washed up on the grass etc. Apparently the water went back further than the kiosk, which was surrounded by a foot or so. Not as bad as Bondi, by all accounts, though!

I went diving today, didn't go deep, only 15m and with a thick wettie, but it began to feel bloody cold down there after 45 mins or so!

Edited by Naomi from Manchester

Are you worried about sharks when you dive?

No, not in the sea / ocean. Maybe a tiny bit in the harbour. But that tiny bit doesn't stop me. I don't carry dead fish, or repeatedly return to the same site at the same times (as that naval diver checking ships who lost a limb did), or dive during dusk or dawn.

I did do a night dive in the harbour once and my dive buddy just had a bad feeling (there were only the 2 of us), so we got out after about about 15 or 20 minutes. I don't think I'd do a night dive in the harbour again. That's been the only time I've ever seen a blue ringed octopus :)

I think I saw a guy swimming underwater after dark at the Bronte rock pool, one night. I don't like going in the water even there after dark. I can't see the rocks properly, or the rocks create threatening shadows!

Have you been down to the place at South Coogee where I had a first ever swim - 'Ivo Rowe Pool'. I'm not sure if you can get into the water to dive there? I came upon it by accident the other month.

I've never been there! Will go check it out one of these days :) is it on an accessible coastal path?

I did not know that you could walk from Coogee south along the coastal path though I knew you could go north from Maroubra round Lurline Bay. This spot is north of Lurline Bay, and there are a couple of roads that lead down to the path. I came upon it by accident after I went to a doctor on Malabar Road (I think.) I don't know if it's safe to get into the water for diving. I saw a bloke rock fishing with his safety gear on. I noticed that the rocks are VERY slippery. There are proper stairs down to the pool where I had my swim.