Green keeper

Lisa Lou

I am a qualified greenkeeper and wondered what my visa options are. My brother is a PR in Canberra and my parents are applying for contributory parent visas pretty soon and I need to know how I can join them.

Any advise will be helpful.

I am 24 . It is only on the CSOL list . Not sure if I arrive on a working holiday visa and try and get a job with sponsorship if I will still have to work in a nominated state. I'm finding it so confusing .

Your WHV will allow you to work for an employer for up to 6 months, if things worked out (and there's no guarantee) you could potentially move onto a 4 year 457 or find a state to permanently sponsor you.

It is possible you could join your family, but certainly you will need luck to be on your side. I think that skilled migration is out because the only state sponsoring green keeper is SA and they have conditions attached which would require you to have a family member living in the state (or that you have studied there or are already there which clearly is not the case).

So yes you could come on a WHV and hope you get employer sponsorship. There are three employer sponsored visas, one of them would require the employer to be in a regional area but the other two would have no such restrictions. I expect the biggest hurdle would be finding an employer to sponsor during a time of high and rising unemployment in Australia. And note that probably this would only be a temporary visa anyway.

I am a qualified greenkeeper and wondered what my visa options are. My brother is a PR in Canberra and my parents are applying for contributory parent visas pretty soon and I need to know how I can join them.

Any advise will be helpful.

There is not much information on your post to asses your long term eligibility, but you may have some options.

A couple of pathways that you may want to research:

• 417 to 457 to 186. This is dependent on gaining Australian employment;

• 489 to 887 based on family sponsorship (ACT).

Would that mean I could look for employment with potential to be sponsored where I wish or would it have to be in a nominated area .
A WHV would give you carte blanche to work for someone for 6 months, in any state, and seek that sponsorship, probably initially onto a 457.

It's certainly not impossible but don't expect it to be easy (I moved from a WHV to 457, it can be done).

At your age perhaps you could see it as an opportunity to travel first and foremost? There's always NZ where you can get 2 years on a WHV too.

There is not much information on your post to asses your long term eligibility, but you may have some options.

A couple of pathways that you may want to research:

• 417 to 457 to 186. This is dependent on gaining Australian employment;

• 489 to 887 based on family sponsorship (ACT).

Doesn't the applicant's occupation have to be on the SOL for a family sponsored 489? Greenkeeper is only on the CSOL.

Doesn't the applicant's occupation have to be on the SOL for a family sponsored 489? Greenkeeper is only on the CSOL.

Correct, however some states will consider sponsorship of off list occupations if there is family living in the state.

Archived