CAn you help a confused Midwfie?? Should I apply to APHRA as first step?

Katy Russell

Hello and thanks for having me!

I am hoping to move with my family to Oz. I am a Midwife with 14 years experience in a very well renowned hospital in Scotland. Ideally I would come in on visa 189 (skilled PR)

I've been trying to work my way through the paperwork with help from these forums, but I have a few questions and wondered if any of you lovely people can help me.

It seems it may make sense to apply to APHRA first as I am a diploma trained midwife (there were no degrees when I trained!), as I fear I may not meet the criteria and have to do a bridging course or something....? Does that seem right?

Is it possible to apply to AHPRA without having a visa, or even a EOI in place?

If it is not possible to apply first to APHRA, is it likely I will meet the criteria for skills select with ANMAC, and be granted a visa? (My english language test is this weekend).

Or perhaps, do you think I would be better off trying to come in on a sponsorship 478 and apply for a PR once we are there?

I appreciate your time and TIA

Katy

xxx

Hi Katy,

You need a Degree in order to comply with AHPRA's requirements to register so you will need to do some sort of top up. There is also new requlations with them that you have to meet further requirements of completing 10 caseloading continuity of care experiences which is not included in UK training. Therefore UK trained Midwive's are having to come over on supervised practice.

At the minute you won't meet AHPRA's requirements to register as a Midwife so your best bet is to top up to Degree first.

Hope this helps x

Hello and thanks for having me!

I am hoping to move with my family to Oz. I am a Midwife with 14 years experience in a very well renowned hospital in Scotland. Ideally I would come in on visa 189 (skilled PR)

I've been trying to work my way through the paperwork with help from these forums, but I have a few questions and wondered if any of you lovely people can help me.

It seems it may make sense to apply to APHRA first as I am a diploma trained midwife (there were no degrees when I trained!), as I fear I may not meet the criteria and have to do a bridging course or something....? Does that seem right?

Is it possible to apply to AHPRA without having a visa, or even a EOI in place?

If it is not possible to apply first to APHRA, is it likely I will meet the criteria for skills select with ANMAC, and be granted a visa? (My english language test is this weekend).

Or perhaps, do you think I would be better off trying to come in on a sponsorship 478 and apply for a PR once we are there?

I appreciate your time and TIA

Katy

xxx

Hi Katy,

You need a Degree in order to comply with AHPRA's requirements to register so you will need to do some sort of top up. There is also new requlations with them that you have to meet further requirements of completing 10 caseloading continuity of care experiences which is not included in UK training. Therefore UK trained Midwive's are having to come over on supervised practice.

At the minute you won't meet AHPRA's requirements to register as a Midwife so your best bet is to top up to Degree first.

Hope this helps x

Hi Katy

i really feel for you as I'm here at the moment and qualified in 2001 but have a degree to be honest degree or no degree if you are uk trained and I do not wish to cause any offence but you are almost certainly better trained than those students trained even at degree level here, I work with students and their teachers and they agree, they don't have any ante natal clinic experience, no waterbirths in certain areas, no homebirths, there's no community placements like our three year students have and to my knowledge student midwives have always had community placements in the 1 st and 3rd year. I am shocked by what I am seeing continuity of care rarely happens here even with caseload ing midwives and that is what I am. I've not met any uk midwife on supervised practice.

it saddens me that someone with your experience will face this dilemma as I know you are far more qualified than the degree level the qualification gives you here. I've put my daughter off any healthcare training here as most universities we went to did not recognise the qualification in the Uk, they only offered in hours a total of 6 weeks in clinical placement over a 3 year period so tell me why you should not be considered for a post here without having to upgrade to there degree, then I would also ask if this would be transferable back in the UK because you may find that some uni,s it isn't.

i was always led to believe they love English midwives because of our training, yes that's true but boy my experience so far is you loose all autonomy.

Archived